At the mercy of the Sun Guardian

"It's not what it seems." With effort I managed to vocalize my words.

"Exactly. The princess was having trouble breathing and I was giving her mouth-to-mouth resuscitation."

Inti bursts out laughing to the point that she has to grab onto one of the shelves. "Oh for the sake of the Gods, please stop."

We looked at each other between confusion and fear.

"Aren't you going to accuse us?" I asked.

"Princess, I'm not your mother to care who you mess with before marriage, although doing so with your fiancé's brother...that's new and believe me, I've lived for many years." She laughs out loud again. "Oh my, it's too good to be true, you guys just made my day."

"So are you going to stay quiet?" Faris questions her, taking a step forward, but not before putting his hand on the knife tied to his waist.

Inti smiles. "If I were you, I wouldn't do that." Unable to track her now Inti is at the same distance as Faris, grabbing his hand stopping any movement. "I'm your ally, guys, don't forget it." She says mockingly. "Especially now you don't want to make me an enemy, do you?"

Faris releases the knife immediately and Inti returns to the position where she was before. And not, she didn't just move fast or I was too slow to follow her, she faded into the light, she teleported.

"Well..." She looks at me. "For your part, theft is very frowned upon in the Capital Vidar, I hope that when I come looking for a nightly reading I won't find anything missing...or will I?" She smiles.

I had never felt fear in my life, but today for the first time I admit to feeling cold sweat running down my back.

Inti turns around and vanishes in the little light that remains of the day.

I rest my back on the shelf and slowly sit down until I am completely on the floor. Faris imitates me.

"Now that its just the two of us and I can be completely honest, I think I shitted myself."

I can't help but not laugh.

"How can you joke at a time like this."

He buries his head between his legs. "Honestly, I don't know."

I sigh.

I turn to look at him and he does the same. Even though what happened a few moments ago I don't feel the slightest discomfort or embarrassment, and if what he said is true, life in the palace is really going to be hell.

"If you're wondering if I told the truth..." he murmurs. "I really mean it. For seventeen years I was always in my brother's shadow, and finally I was able to have a conversation with someone who would listen to me and be interested in what I said, even if it only lasted an hour, it was the best hour of my life." He hides his face between his legs again.

I grab the book and open it to the mind control magic page.

"That was my first kiss..."

"Sorry..." he laughs. "I could tell."

I hit him in the shoulder...again. "That's not very gentlemanly of you."

"I think I made it very clear that I am not a gentleman."

I feel my cheeks get hot when I remember our encounter a few moments ago, and I think how much I would have allowed if Inti hadn't arrived.

Oh by the gods Vidar, that is not a thought worthy of a future queen.

"I don't think you'll be able to memorize a book in a couple of hours Vidar, come on I'll take you to your chambers, we can come back another day."

"I already memorized it."