Chapter Fourteen: Deal with the Devil!

The morning light filtered through the curtains of Kerys's bedroom, casting a soft, warm glow over the room. Kerys stirred first, blinking her eyes open and taking in the peacefulness of the moment. She could hear the faint sounds of the world waking up outside-the hum of distant traffic, the chirping of birds, and the soft rustling of leaves in the breeze.

Beside her, Edgars was still asleep, his breathing deep and even. Kerys smiled to herself, enjoying the rare moment of calm before the day began. She gently slipped out of bed, trying not to disturb Ed, and padded quietly into the bathroom to start her morning routine.

She brushed her teeth, splashed her face with cold water, and tied her hair back into a loose ponytail. As she went through the familiar motions, she found her mind wandering to the events of the previous night. Francesca was still out there, and they needed to deal with her sooner rather than later.

Kerys finished in the bathroom and headed to the kitchen to make coffee. The smell of freshly brewed coffee soon filled the flat, and as she poured herself a cup, she heard Ed stirring in the bedroom.

A few minutes later, Ed emerged, looking slightly groggy but relaxed. He stretched as he walked into the kitchen, his muscles still tight from the previous day's work. "Morning," he mumbled, rubbing his eyes.

"Morning," Kerys replied with a smile, handing him a cup of coffee. "Sleep well?"

"Like a rock," Ed said, taking a grateful sip of the coffee. He leaned against the counter, his expression thoughtful. "I've got a job interview today. It's at a garage in town."

Kerys raised an eyebrow, surprised but pleased. "A job interview? That's great! I didn't know you were looking."

Ed nodded. "Yeah, if I'm going to be staying in Corby for a while, I need something stable. It's a decent place, from what I've heard. If it works out, I won't be home until late tonight."

Kerys nodded, understanding. "That sounds like a good plan. It'll be nice to have something steady, especially with everything else going on."

Ed smiled, appreciating her support. "Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too."

They spent the rest of the morning in comfortable silence, eating a simple breakfast of toast and eggs. Kerys couldn't help but feel a sense of normalcy creeping back into their lives, even though she knew that it was only temporary.

After breakfast, Ed got ready for his interview, pulling on a clean pair of jeans and a button-down shirt. He grabbed his keys and turned to Kerys, giving her a quick kiss. "Wish me luck."

"You don't need it," Kerys said with a wink. "You'll do great."

With that, Ed left the flat, the door clicking shut behind him. As soon as he was gone, Kerys's expression grew more serious. She picked up her phone and dialed Kieran's number, waiting as it rang.

Kieran answered on the second ring. "Morning, Kerys. What's up?"

"Morning, Kieran," Kerys said, her tone more urgent. "I need to talk to you about something. Ed told me last night that he ran into Francesca at the bar. She's staying there, and I think it's time we pay her a visit."

There was a brief pause on the other end of the line as Kieran processed the information. "Francesca, huh? That's bold of her, staying so close. Alright, I'm in. Where do you want to meet?"

"Let's keep it neutral," Kerys suggested. "How about the park near the town centre? It's quiet enough, and we can figure out our next steps from there."

"Sounds good," Kieran agreed. "I'll be there in about thirty minutes."

"See you then," Kerys said before hanging up.