Chapter Thirteen: Setting Roots!

The days had been long and tense in Corby. Francesca had spent most of her time strategizing alone, her mind a constant whirl of thoughts and plans. But today, she had to confront a reality she had been avoiding-her brother, Jaydon.

She arrived at the small, nondescript hotel where Jaydon had been staying since the fight. It was a far cry from the opulence they were both used to, but after the events of the past few days, luxury was the last thing on their minds. Francesca hesitated at the door to Jaydon's room, taking a deep breath before knocking.

"Come in," came Jaydon's strained voice from inside.

Francesca pushed the door open and stepped inside. The room was dimly lit, and Jaydon was lying on the bed, propped up by pillows. His face was still bruised, and he winced as he tried to sit up straighter.

"Hey," she said softly, closing the door behind her.

Jaydon looked up at her, his expression weary. "Hey, Frankie."

She walked over to the chair beside the bed and sat down, studying her brother's face. The physical damage was obvious, but it was the look in his eyes that hurt her the most. Jaydon, always so full of life and confidence, looked defeated.

"How are you feeling?" Francesca asked, though she already knew the answer.

Jaydon shrugged, wincing as he did. "I've been better. The doctors said I need to take it easy for a while. But it's not just that, Frankie. I've been thinking..."

Francesca tensed, sensing where this conversation was heading. "What have you been thinking about?"

Jaydon hesitated, searching for the right words. "Frankie, I can't do this anymore. I'm out."

The words hit her like a punch to the gut. She had known Jaydon was struggling, but she hadn't expected this. "What do you mean, you're out?" she asked, her voice sharper than she intended.

Jaydon sighed, avoiding her gaze. "I mean I'm done. I can't be involved in this anymore. The fight, the plan... all of it. I can't do it. Look at what's happened to us, Frankie. We're getting torn apart, and it's only a matter of time before we're dead or worse."

Francesca felt a surge of anger and hurt. "You're giving up? Just like that?"

"It's not giving up," Jaydon said, his voice laced with frustration. "It's surviving. I barely made it out of that ring alive. And for what? What's the point if we're just going to keep getting beaten down?"

Francesca stood up, pacing the small room as she tried to control her emotions. "So, what? You're just going to leave me to deal with this on my own?"

Jaydon looked at her, his eyes filled with a deep sadness. "I don't want to leave you, Frankie. But I can't do this anymore. I'm scared, and I don't want to die. You're stronger than me, smarter. Maybe you can find a way out of this, but I can't. I'm done."

Francesca stopped pacing, her heart aching at the sight of her brother, the only person she had left in this fight, turning his back on her. "So, what am I supposed to do?" she asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

Jaydon shook his head. "I don't know, Frankie. But I can't be a part of it anymore. You have to figure it out on your own."

She felt tears prick at the corners of her eyes, but she refused to let them fall. "I've always had your back, Jaydon. Always. And now, when I need you most, you're just... walking away?"

Jaydon's face crumpled, guilt and pain etched into every line. "I'm sorry. I really am. But this... this is too much. You're right-you've always been there for me, but I can't do this anymore. I'm not cut out for this kind of fight."