Luna Festival

When I returned to my room, I wrote a message to Lord Nightingale. Once Belle flew off, I prepared a letter for Yolanda. It occurred to me that I hadn't spoken to her in a while and I needed her help. Knowing Charles, he would still keep us in after all the trouble we caused but he never prohibited us from having visitors.

If I was going to leave a good impression, Yolanda had to help me. Elaine and Vivian wouldn't approve if I told them I had used Anna and Brian as an excuse to meet with Lord Nightingale. They would try to limit what I could wear.

I sealed the letter and left it on the desk. Sadly, I had to send it tomorrow. Having a personal mail carrier was so useful.

I paced back and forth in my room, waiting for Belle's return. I couldn't help but think about how we might be the only ones from Sol's church attending. But wasn't it only fair that I attended a Luna festival while he had attended a Sol sermon?

"Does that mean we're courting each other?"

I paused at my question. My cheeks warmed. I had never given it much thought. Speaking with Lord Nightingale a letter had seemed so natural. Sending him a letter through Belle was never daunting. I didn't have to worry about him ignoring me. I knew he was interested in me.

Charles's words echoed in my head. What about Adam?

Sighing, I sat on my bed. Lord Ross was a good marriage candidate. He had money and that's what my family needed. I wanted Charles to stop worrying about how to provide for us. I wanted him and Elaine to spend more time together. The twins deserved so much more and Mother would get the proper care she needed. Vivian could openly court her crush and I - I would become Lady Ross and manage his household without worrying about money. Everyone would be happy.

Lord Nightingale, on the other hand, was practically a stranger. Knowing my father was a perk. He came back from war. Didn't that mean he could go back? How long would I have to wait for him? Ten years at minimum but he may stay longer. Could I live like that? Probably the biggest obstacle would be my family. I'd need Charles's permission to marry. Sol and Luna's church required marriage between a vampire and a human to have the approval of both families.

"This is too much," I muttered.

Feeling my head pulse, I stood. Why was I thinking about marriage if I wasn't sure if I wanted to court Lord Nightingale? He had permitted me to do so but perhaps I had forced him to do so. I needed to talk to him in person. Asking about this relationship through a letter could cause too many misunderstandings.

To my dismay, Belle didn't return that night. Disappointed, I went to bed.

Whether it was from excitement or nervous, the weekend came all too soon. The evening of the promised day, I sat in the drawing room. Smoothing, the blue floral dress across my legs, I tried to maintain my posture. And yet my leg continued to jump up and down on its own accord.

Preparations had started early that morning, I barely had enough sleep. Luckily, Vivian and Emily had helped me get ready. They, however, didn't share my enthusiasm.

"Are you sure Lady Poppy will meet you there?" Vivian had asked.

"Her letter said as much," I reminded her.

Silently, she continued washing my hair. "Why so much effort?" she grumbled.

Emily poured warm water into the bath.

"Why not?" I countered.

"Are you trying to impress Lady Poppy?"

"I do not need to."

"Then I can only imagine you're trying to impress Lord Nightingale." She giggled. "But that would be -" She stopped. "Are you and Lord Nightingale -?"

I looked up at her. "We're what?" I asked.