"Why him?"

Standing at the line where land meets sea, I reached down to pick up a unique shell by my feet, buried in the sand. I ran my fingers on the smooth edges and ridges.

"Averi!"

I turned around, looking out at the horizon when I spotted a silhouette in the distance running towards me.
Walker finally arrived at my side and turned, facing me with a look on his face. That look.... I can't quite explain it. He was almost... concerned. As the seconds passed, that emotion slowly left his face.

"You left early yesterday"

I shifted my weight onto my other foot.

"Yes"

I acted nonchalant. I hope he couldn't see through me.

"You didn't tell me that you were leaving early"

I thought back to last afternoon with the picnic blanket and the walk and... Violet.

"You seemed pretty busy"

My annoyed tone said it all.

"My go- Is this about violet? We're just fri-"

I cut him off before he could say another word.

"She doesn't seem to think that" I said coolly.

That was a silent for a few seconds. The puzzled expression on his face and the harsh look on mine. They didn't go well together.

"You should know... There is nothing going on between us. We're just friends as much as I'm concerned. If she tries anything... Well... She won't be getting any reciprocation for me. Don't be worried."

He looked at me with a sort of softness that I couldn't quite imagine coming from him. It was clear that he was telling the truth. But I was tired. Tired of being thrown around. Tired of being reserved for second place. Always second. Never first. Never. So... I snapped.

"Why would I care Walker! There is nothing between us. And I'm tired. Tired of this. Tired of us. Tired of you. This whole arrangement? It's over. I'm sick of being your fake girlfriend. Your second choice. I'm going back to our hotel."

I walked away without looking back. If I did, I would've seen his face. Numb. The hurt on it. The emotion that I couldn't quite explain. The ocean eyes that followed me until I was out of sight.

I looked down at my feet, trudging across the boardwalk. I could feel tears stinging my eyes.

I can still hear the crash of the waves. I wonder If Walker's still standing there. If he feels like I do. If he actually felt anything for me. Sure, it was only a couple of weeks, but we had something. I just hope he felt it too.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -(TIME SKIP) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The ten minute walk went by quicker that I expected with all of the lingering feelings and thoughts in my head.

I pulled the glass door to the hotel open and stepped inside. keeping my eyes down, I headed over to the elevator which dinged as soon as I pressed the 'UP' button.

I looked around the familiar metal box

A minute passed, and the doors opened. As I stepped out, I felt a wave of dizziness strike me. I swayed a little, the blood rushing to my head. The last thing I remember thinking was,

"Why?"

"Why him?"