Part 3

04

I saw the surprise spreading in Pei Du's eyes as he looked at me with a puzzled expression.

"That day, my purpose was actually the same as yours, to save Yan Yu.

"It was Jiang Luo Yu who liked osmanthus, but I am not the real Jiang Luo Yu."

Pei Du frowned but spoke in a relieved tone, "You don't have to say this. If you aren't Jiang Luo Yu, then who is?"

I realized immediately that he thought I was just sulking and that my words were merely out of anger.

"I indeed acted impulsively today..."

"Your Majesty, that's not what I meant. Jiang Luo Yu died long ago. I intentionally switched the drugged tea that day at Yipin Lou," I interrupted him.

"You always have a good memory, so you should know that in the previous life, I wasn't at Yipin Lou that day, and I wasn't the mastermind behind it.

"In the previous life, this October, Xiao Yan went to war and was ambushed by the enemy, leaving his whereabouts unknown. Yan Yu, ignoring the dangers, left the capital, only to encounter the plague in City Ye and was almost burned alive. Luckily, Your Majesty went to save her."

I met Pei Du's gaze and slowly said, word by word, "Am I right, Your Majesty?"

I could clearly feel Pei Du's grip on my wrist tightening, though it didn't hurt. Yet, I still shed tears.

Pei Du's eyes said it all; he now knew I wasn't Jiang Luo Yu.

In the previous life, Pei Du had left the capital in secret for Song Yan Yu, abandoning all his duties and risking his life to enter City Ye.

And this was something the real Jiang Luo Yu wouldn't know even if she were reincarnated, but I knew.

When I read about this part, I couldn't help but cry for Pei Du, but until the end, despite giving everything, he never won Song Yan Yu's heart.

In the previous life, Pei Du's love was unrequited, and now, so is mine.

He remained as devoted as ever, only his misplaced affection now included me.

"Then why did you go to the Xiao residence today?" Pei Du looked at me, his eyes still filled with doubt.

I laughed, tears falling.

He still didn't trust me; he thought I would harm Song Yan Yu.

"To return the dagger and remind her to warn Xiao Yan of the enemy ambush. Yan Yu's maid was also there; she can testify for me."

The image of Pei Du before me grew blurry, and for some reason, my heart ached with a dull pain.

It turned out that even between a husband and wife who faced each other every day, there could be no trust at all.

Pei Du looked puzzled. "You read my diary. Don't you have any questions for me?"

"I do." I wiped away my tears forcefully and met his gaze.

I hated myself for understanding Pei Du so well, knowing exactly what he was feeling at this moment.

Although he appeared calm, his earlier doubts had already vanished. At this moment, Pei Du wore an expression that suggested he had seen through everything.

But this calmness turned into panic and helplessness as soon as I spoke: "Your Majesty, may we divorce?"

05

"Divorce?" Pei Du's eyebrows raised slightly, his tone filled with incredulity.

"That's right. Since Your Majesty knows I am not Jiang Luo Yu and have no intention of harming Yan Yu, there's no need to keep me by your side, is there?"

I tried to maintain a calm exterior, despite the turmoil inside me.

Having seen the diary, with his familiar handwriting filled with deep affection for Song Yan Yu, what else could I possibly ask?

Ask if he ever loved me? Even just a little?

The sword at my neck earlier in the day had already answered that question. Pei Du asking if I had any questions was just another way of breaking my heart.

Yes, I was in love but unable to attain it, yet I did not want to be an unreasonable villain.

"The empress is the mother of the nation. If you and I were to divorce rashly, both the ministers and the people would find it absurd. Not to mention me, the ministers would never agree."

Pei Du quickly regained his composure.

"Furthermore, what do you plan to do after the divorce? Do you think rumors would spare you?"

Pei Du sighed. He wanted to call me by my name, Luo Yu, but silently corrected himself: "Empress, you are too naive. You should know that after the divorce, the Jiang family would not take you in. In the capital, wherever you go, people would gossip. If you leave the capital, as a woman without the title of empress or the status of the Jiang family's legitimate daughter, you would have no place to go."

Pei Du spoke as if educating a child throwing a tantrum. He remained calm and composed, as he did most of the time.

He was nonchalant, unhurried, and certain.

Every word made sense, and none touched on emotions.

Perhaps it was because he never had any feelings for me.

His words appeared to be advice, but between the lines, they were all threats.

Indeed, it would be hard for me to survive after divorcing him. But what about him? Wouldn't there be disadvantages for him as well?

In the eyes of the people, Pei Du and I were childhood sweethearts, loving and harmonious.

To the ministers, I was a competent empress who managed the harem impeccably, never making a misstep in my conduct.

If the emperor and empress were to divorce, it would provoke much speculation and could shatter the people's image of Pei Du as a ruler.

More importantly, it would disrupt the balance between the court and the harem that had been maintained for years.

With the empress's position vacant, the ministers would undoubtedly take the opportunity to fill the harem with concubines.

Pei Du disliked being controlled, and I was his shield against other women.

"In the palace, you live in luxury, and with the harem empty, you need not worry about schemes and intrigues. My mother passed away early, so you need not fear the Empress Dowager. The court has no complaints against you either..." Pei Du continued, seeing my silence. "I will treat you as I always have."

He held my hand, intertwining his fingers with mine, just like on countless intimate nights.

It was like a negotiation table, where both sides added stakes due to a lack of consensus.

I quickly withdrew my hand. Perhaps when I first saw the diary, I might have believed Pei Du's words had some sincerity.

But now, I truly couldn't see the man in front of me clearly.

I didn't marry Pei Du for the riches and luxury of the royal family, nor for power; I married him because I genuinely loved him.

The plot focused solely on Xiao Yan and Song Yanyu; the higher-ups would not concern themselves with matters such as Pei Du's emotional changes.

But on the day I decided to marry Pei Du, my superiors had earnestly advised me: "If marrying Pei Du is to use his power to help with the plot, you are correct. But if you truly want to stay here, I hope you reconsider this relationship."

"Many who undertake missions cannot help but develop feelings. However, a moment of passion may lead them to overlook the ideological differences brought by different eras and ignore the true nature of the characters."

Their words echoed in my mind again, but I had stubbornly persisted at that time.

"Is that so?" I tried hard to hold back my tears.

"But Your Majesty, after saying so much, you still haven't asked my name."