⇸8

Bet you miss me
Bet you're reminiscing
I bet you hate the way that you said goodbye
And you still can't even tell me why 

Bet you miss meBet you're reminiscingI bet you hate the way that you said goodbye And you still can't even tell me why 

At eleven years old, Xinyi was convinced she was in love with Chenle. Her mother told her she didn't know what love was, claiming she was too young.

Maybe she was too young, but that didn't mean she didn't know what love felt like.

At eleven years old, Xinyi watched Chenle as he knelt down in front of her, hello kitty bandaid in his hand as he carefully tended to her grazed knee after she fell on his skateboard.

At eleven years old, Xinyi found Chenle everyday at lunchtime without fail at school. He would be waiting for her outside of her lesson, even if she was a little slow coming out sometimes.

At eleven years old, Xinyi was out in his backyard as the sunbeams suffocatingly struck down on them. She caught the basketball he threw to her, hearing his encouragement to making the final shot. She watched as his smile widened and he broke out into a cheer for her, heading her way to tackle her in a hug of excitement and pride.

At twelve years old, Xinyi was watching romcoms with her friends and all she could think about was her best friend who lived across the road.

At twelve years old, Xinyi and Chenle were finally allowed to go to the ice cream shop by themselves. They were both giddy, racing each other to their favourite place. His laughter rang out through the air, turning around triumphantly to celebrate his win.

"I'm getting an extra scoop." He teased Xinyi. "Don't be a sore loser Xinxin." Chenle laughed at her glare.
"I'm sharing yours then." Xinyi declared, beginning to walk past him to the entrance.
"Um, no you're not."
"I always let you share mine!" She argued, eyebrows knitting together lightly.

"Hm," Chenle looked at his best friend, then to the park opposite. "If you swing higher than me I'll let you share."
"That's not fair, you have longer legs than me." Xinyi frowned, looking down at her body but Chenle was already heading towards the swings.

"Come on." He called out, telling her that she was way too slow. She sighed, following in his direction, taking up a seat on the empty swing next to his own. He started rocking back and forth slowly as he looked at her. "Okay...go!"

Xinyi was an optimistic girl but against Chenle at anything remotely physical, was a no. She did try her hardest to swing the highest, but it turned out he was much better at it than her.

And when she lost, he laughed at her, taking in her sulky expression and only dragging her into the ice cream shop with him. The extra scoop was taunting her as she sat opposite him, the creamy chocolate brownie flavour melting on her tongue as she watched him happily dig into his own.