NINE ˚• ⚯͛

❝ isn't it lovely all alone?heart made of glassmy mind of stone ❞

❝ isn't it lovely
all alone?
heart made of glass
my mind of stone ❞

"You know the spell, Clara."

Kaia was running. Darkness enveloped her — her breath coming in sharp, painful bursts as she tore through the mysterious corridor. The walls seemed to close in around her, the stone cold and unyielding. Suddenly, her foot caught on something, sending her face first into the floor. A scream escaped her lips as she felt something snap and searing pain radiated through her ankle. Footsteps drew closer behind her, shadows loomed at the edges of her vision, twisting and curling like living things, whispering her name.

Unable to walk, she crawled forward, clawing at the stone floor, pulling her body forward.

She could hear the footsteps — heavy, relentless, getting closer with every second. The whispers grew louder, closer, taunting her. "You think you can run away from me this easily, Clara?"

She pulled herself around a corner, only to hit a dead end. Her eyes darted around her, searching for anything she could use to hide. An icy, snake-like hand wrapped around her broken ankle, and viciously yanked her backwards. A raw, guttural scream pierced the darkness as the stone floor tore a gash through her arm.

"You foolish girl," the voice taunted, "you cannot run,"

She tried to fight against the grip, tried to free herself, but to no avail. Her captor leaned forward, whispering sinisterly in her year, "You'll be with your dear brothers soon. Avada—"

Kaia's eyes snapped open, her chest heaving as she yanked herself from the nightmare, back into the dark quiet of her dormitory. The fear, though, didn't leave—it clung to her like a cold, wet shroud, squeezing the breath from her lungs and sending her heart into a frantic rhythm. It was as if she was still running.

No, not again, she thought, recognizing the panic washing over her. She'd been doing better; her last panic attack was over a month prior.

Without thinking, Kaia threw off her blankets and slipped out of bed, her movements quick and erratic. She slipped on a pair of shoes, grabbed her wand and slipped silently through the dorm, and into the corridor. Her heart pounded so loudly in her ears she was sure it would wake the others. The walls of the castle felt too close, too confining, and she needed to get away, to find somewhere she could breathe.

She focused her mind on putting one foot in front of the other, as quickly and quietly as she could, until she reached the Astronomy Tower. It had been a sanctuary for her this term, a place where she could escape and find solace under the open sky. She clung to the thought like a lifeline as she scurried up the many flights of stairs, her breath coming in shallow, rapid bursts.

But it was too much, too fast. By the time she reached the top of the tower, her vision was swimming, and her chest was on fire. She reached the top of the stairs, but her legs gave out beneath her and she collapsed onto the cold floor.