III

┌───── ・☆☽・ ─────┐
𝕟𝕠𝕧𝕖𝕞𝕓𝕖𝕣 𝟙 𝟡 𝟡 𝟞
━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━
"you must stay hidden"

Durmstrang was a fortress of shadows, its stone walls steeped in an ancient, cold magic that seemed to seep into the very bones of those who lived within

Durmstrang was a fortress of shadows, its stone walls steeped in an ancient, cold magic that seemed to seep into the very bones of those who lived within. The remote, snow-covered landscape surrounding the castle only added to its isolation, a perfect place to keep secrets buried deep.

Hayden DuGray moved swiftly through the darkened corridors, his heart beating in time with his hurried footsteps. The weight of the secret he carried felt heavier with each passing day, especially now that it wasn't just about keeping a certain brunette safe — it was about keeping his own feelings in check. He reached a section of wall that was indistinguishable from the rest, save for the subtle, well-hidden latch that only a select few knew existed. With a practiced hand, he triggered the mechanism, and the stone slid away to reveal the narrow staircase descending into the depths of the castle.

He paused for a moment at the top of the stairs, collecting himself. His thoughts were a jumble of conflicting emotions—worry, guilt, and something deeper, something he wasn't sure he should acknowledge. But there was no time to dwell on that now. She was waiting for him, and she needed him to be strong.

As he descended the staircase, the passage closed behind him, sealing off any connection to the world above. The small, hidden chamber at the bottom was dimly lit, the flickering torch casting long, uneven shadows across the stone walls. There she stood near the flame, her once-blonde hair now a deep, chestnut brown that framed her face in a way that made her look older, more serious. The transformation had been necessary, but it had also changed the girl he had known since childhood into someone who seemed more distant, more unreachable.

"Hayden," Her voice was soft, but it held an edge of fear and uncertainty that cut through the silence of the room. "I was worried. I thought maybe..."

He crossed the room in a few quick strides, his concern for her overriding everything else. "I'm here," he reassured her, his hand finding her shoulder, the touch more tender than he intended. "You're safe with me. I promise."

Her eyes, filled with a mixture of relief and lingering fear, met his. For a moment, Hayden felt an overwhelming urge to pull her into his arms and never let go, to protect her from the world that had done so much harm. But he forced himself to remain steady, his grip on her shoulder tightening just slightly as if to anchor them both in the present.

"I know I'm safe with you," she whispered, her voice trembling. "But it's getting harder, Hayden. I can't keep hiding like this, knowing my family had to bury me. They think I'm dead—Draco, my parents... Graham."