28

Feimo was left on his knees with his hands bound in chains. The chill iron squeezing against his wrists was a sickening feeling. Why wouldn't she listen? Even now, when his eyes bored into the back of her head, still she refused to acknowledge him. Instead she flew off. La mort on the other hand remained beside him and found some joy in shaking his shackles around until they clinked in their ears.

At least the children were with him. Hanley was muttering incessantly, as if a moment of silence would steal the demon away from him. Vivian held her sisters close, their heads buried in the wraith's cloak. He had truly ruined things, hadn't he? 

"Surely there's something that can be done?" the lichen demanded, his attention fell on Auster who stood off to the side.

"I'm afraid not, little one. Not even lord Grim has the power to reverse an arrest," the ghoul muttered.

"Then who? Someone must," Vivian chipped in.

"Only Lucifer or God can help him," as he spoke, the ghoul's grey eyes landed on him and something akin to regret twitched in his face. Was it because he was starting to warm up to him, or because he had failed? 

"It's ok, everyone," Feimo murmured, "Think of this as a teaching moment. Actions have consequences..." 

"Damn right they do!" Grim snapped. Churchill slid across the ground at such speed that for a moment the demon thought he was going to swerve past them before he suddenly came to a stop beside the intern. Behind him, the two Reapers standing guard stamped their boots on the ground in a salute, and to his surprise, even Robin and Algie stood at peak attention.

"You again?" Feimo exclaimed with a gnawing sense of danger.

"Who that?" La mort asked.

"I'm the one who pointed out your inability to lock a door. Nice makeover by the way, red really didn't suit you," Grim said.

"Thank you!"

But the skeleton wasn't listening to him anymore, instead he turned around and loudly asked, "Hey Auster, I think it's time you got rid of that," he said as he swiped the badge off from the ghoul's cloak. "Now be a dear and lock my knees up."

As soon as he said the words, alarm rung out across the changeling's face. Smacking Robin on the arm, they began to separate whilst the ghoul proceeded to lift the skeleton's legs until they failed to fall back down again with a joyous glee. With the witch beside Hanley, and the changeling between Vivian and La mort, lord Grim let out a pained groan.

"Ah that's better! Sometimes these old bones need a little movement. Good job, young man. Your scythe will arrive in five business days," He said whilst Churchill led him around the prisoners. "Now, you'd best look away for plausible deniability." 

"What?" Feimo and Auster chorused. 

Before the demon could crane his neck onto the lord of purgatory, or for Auster to even consider his order. Churchill the worm charged through the gap between the Reapers. 

The backs of their knees connected with Grim's bare feet and with cries of alarm, the guards crashed to the ground. Two hands, cold, hard, and sharp dug into Feimo's shoulders and hoisted him off the ground and whisked him away. 

The scene was alive with action. Algie had ran to La mort and fiddled with his shackles, and Robin had grabbed Hanley and cast a levitation spell. All the while he found himself upon Grim's solid lap. The wheelchair rattled and vibrated violently, as the giant worm hightailed it out of the Reapers' staging ground. 

Wind snatched at his hair, and the light drizzle of the subsiding storm blinded him until he turned to face the scowling skull. Behind them he saw the others following in the sky while the soldiers of the beyond watched dumbfounded.