Chapter 33

LISA

The following day, we're all gathered at Castle St Laure for the presentation of the amulet and the point awarding for the first trial, back in front of the nobles and non-players. All of us have recovered from both the attack in the Montague Forest and the fight in the temple, but the atmosphere is tense. No one dares relax their guard.

Roseanne is still smarting from having lost the challenge. She's furious that Taehyung could have been so underhanded. We were so close to winning the trial, but he was clever and played to his strengths and she can't disagree with that. She doesn't have to like it either, though, which was her point.

We're stood again in the main ballroom. The seating that surrounded the room for the partner pairing ceremony has gone, and instead, there are banquet tables dotted around the room full of groups of vampires or hunters. There is a little more blending of species, but not much. The stage has a space for Jennie, the points display of five glass vials, one for each team, and a series of bloodstones in a bowl to the right.

Last, there's an orchestra. Though they're sat with their instruments between their legs, their backs straight against their chairs. As tense as the room then.

There are balconies furnished with lavish curtains and chandeliers dotted around the room. Vampire nobles occupy most of them, watching the proceedings and drinking from goblets of wine.

"I expected more of him," Roseanne mutters, still unable to let it go.

"Stop being a sore loser, we've plenty of time to win. Besides, he was clever, you can't deny him that. While we were all distracted, he took advantage. And you would have done the same," I say.

"I also won't underestimate him again. Seulgi neither. That boulder she smashed against Irene's head was savage. I know there are rumours about her, but I guess I didn't expect her to be so... so..."

"Violent?"

Roseanne nods.

"You're all vampires. Even those that seem gentle in their humanity acquire the vicious killer gene once they're turned. You're all capable. Why do you think the Hunter Academy exists? We're not here for nothing."

She nods, her lips pressed thin. "I think that I need to reassess my view of just about everything. These trials are going to be far harder than I anticipated but I am not willing to lie down and hand them to my siblings. I am one of the original three, and if anyone should rule this city next, it's me. I am enough. Just as I am."

"Yes. You are, Roseanne."

She turns to me, a soft smile on her lips, her eyes glinting as she looks at me. "How did you cope coming down off my blood without me fucking it out of your system."

"Well, my wrist aches today, let me put it that way," I say.

She laughs so hard her head flies back as she cackles.

"Perhaps I can find a way to make it up to you."

But there's no time right now because Jennie steps onto the stage.

"Ladies, Gentlemen, hunters and noble vampires, welcome back to my home for the end of the first trial celebration. We have a winner in our midst, and an announcement to make."

The Chief steps up onto the stage next to Jennie. The pair of them are rigid, stood next to each other. Both radiate tension. But somehow, Mother is a little less tense than she was the first time they stood on stage next to each other. Perhaps peace or the semblance of it is possible after all. Jennie hands the mic to the Chief.