9| Car Ride: His other side

A small talk can fix even the biggest misunderstanding.

"Huh, I'll leave," Sita muttered and tried to leave.

But Shyam held her hand, pulling her towards him. He looked into his eyes, evoking suppressed feelings in her.

"Are you avoiding me?" he asked.

Sita blinked, rapidly. Her eyes were downcast. Shit! He's too direct.

"Sita! I asked you something," he spoke, sternly.

"I need to go," she mumbled.

His grip on her hand tightened. "Sita, please. What happened? Did I do something? Are you upset with me? Or is it something else?"

"Nothing. Please leave my hand," she said, lifting her head to see him.

That was the biggest mistake she could commit; his eyes were intense, making her weak in the knees. Several emotions comprising of disbelief, concern, confusion and worry swirled in his pupils; he couldn't bear to witness his cousin being extremely silent. 

Seeing him determined, she resolved to let him know what was bothering her. 

"I love someone."

His hand left hers, promptly. "What the hell?" 

"Yes. I'm in love with someone. But it's unrequited. I'm trying to move on," she confessed. 

"Who?" His lips quivered heeding the revelation. 

Sita bit her lips and said, "A senior..."

Shyam took a step back, leaning on the parapet. His forehead wrinkled and his fists were clenched. 

"Did you confess?" 

She shook her head . "He doesn't know. I don't want him to know either. He's committed now. And I don't wanna bother him with my stupid feelings. I'm okay. I'll move on."

"How long?" he asked, looking at the mango tree which stood in their garden.

"Seven months," she whispered. Seven years. 

Shyam hummed and glimpsed at her. Holding her hand, he lent her an assuring smile. 

"It happens. It'll be okay, soon. And I'm sorry that I reminded you about this..." 

Sita smiled. It'll never be okay. 

"Situ! It's gonna be si-" 

Indra stopped on her track as her eyes fell on Shyam's hand holding Sita's. 

Shyam frowned. "You stupid! Sita's in love and you didn't even bother to tell me about it?"

Indra's eyes widened. Gosh! Did she confess? 

"Shy-"

"I only asked her not to. Anyway that senior left the college. I'll be okay," Sita spoke, promptly. 

Indra was left dubious with her utterance and slowly realisation dawned upon her. It's only about her love...not about the person she's in love with.

Smiling, nervously, Indra said, "Yeah yeah! Past is past. Let's leave this matter. For now, Sita has to leave. It's already six thirty."

"Shit! I'll be late!" Sita hissed and rushed downstairs.

Indra sighed and glared at her brother. "Stay away from her."

"What did I do?" Shyam whispered to himself, as his sister rushed behind Sita.