020.

author's note

I'm just popping in really quick to say that, in this chapter, a second OC is mentioned. Leda, a daughter of Miraz, is Caspian's cousin and the main character of the other fanfiction in this universe that I've planned that is already published on my profile (or, well, a promise of it). Now that I'm beginning to write about events taking place in "Prince Caspian", I hope to finally get into that other ff as well, even though I'll probably finish this one first. Still, I'll try to make it so that both stories can be read separately.

de-lia

🍂

"You question her, Sire," continues the dwarf, though the title sounds more like a mockery on his tongue. "That is, unless you are already aware of the orders she must have been acting upon."

The prince's eyes shift towards her, too. He shakes his head, meaning to deny the suggestion. "No, I... Has Miraz sent you?" he asks, somewhat cautiously. Moments ago, it felt as though they were on the same side, two humans against a large crowd of Narnians fueled by hundreds of years of spite towards their kind; however, the tables have turned, and now it seems that Birdie is entirely on her own. "Or was it my cousin, seeking to prove herself now that her younger brother has put a threat to her hunger for power?"

"Miraz? I have never heard this name before, I-"

"That's exactly what an agent of his would say," chimes in the dwarf.

"Hush now, Nikabrik." Birdie is thankful to have the badger come to her defense, because she has trouble thinking straight at the moment. He comes to stand next to her, looking at her with an expression she would like to believe is reassurance. "Let the girl speak. We'll learn nothing if you keep interrupting her every sentence."

He really is the only creature who doesn't seem hostile towards her, Birdie notices. Even the boy watches her carefully, as though he was waiting for her to attempt to flee, which is, if she was to be completely honest, completely ridiculous. Even if he didn't manage to catch her the very same moment she made her move, the dwarf would undoubtedly be more than glad to strike her. Not to mention the circular, almost solid due to the density of the crowd, wall of Narnians standing prepared all around them. She would be a fool to dare move even a single toe. That is, unless she would wish to be struck by an arrow; she could only hope the first one would be directed towards her shoulder as a warning, and not - straight to her throat.

But how is she to explain, when she herself has not the faintest idea of what is happening? Birdie has never been exceptionally good at human interactions, and Peter has been her only companion for over a decade. She can't help but wish she had Lucy's ability to make even the toughest of hearts melt underneath her charm.

Even more so, she wishes she had Lucy in the flesh at her side.

Alas, she is on her own, and it seems her mind shall remain the only thing she can turn to for help. Her thoughts are flooded by various possibilities of what she could say, and the many outcomes to follow. None of those seem even mildly appealing, though, because her unconsciousness keeps pushing images of some harm coming her way to the very front.

Why would Aslan call her back here, now that everyone she holds dear to her in Narnia has been long gone? Why would he test in such a cruel way?

For who would believe her if she was to say that she knew the Pevensie siblings once, a whole lifetime ago, multiple lifetimes ago? Who would believe her if she was to mention the fact that, for many centuries, apparently, she has been dead to the world, only to be called back now by some unknown force? She has no proof, nothing except her own words and the desperation on the tip of her tongue, and the hope burning faintly in the depths of her soul.