21. Stray Heart

"Everything that I want,
I want from you,
But I just can't have you"

Sunday

Hot water sticks to the mirror in droplets, steaming the bathroom up as Zayn steps out with a white towel tucked around his waist. His hair, longer than usual as he's unable to get a trim as of late, drips freely as he studies his face in his reflection.

Alice In Chains welcomes him from his speaker in the bedroom, making him hum along and bob his head as he searches the drawer for clothes. He glances out the clear window as he gets dressed, miles of green forest staring back at him with hardly a trickle of sunlight coming through the branches. It's depressing, but necessary for the moment.

His eyes spot his temporary phone on the counter, reminding him he's got a phone call to make. He knows how this works—if he's gonna ask the facility to do him a favor, they're gonna want something from him in return.

He shouldn't even be doing this. His father disapproved of his idea to sneak a phone to Louis, so he couldn't find out that he fucked that up too and has to make a second drop off for a phone charger. Because of this, he can't make any promises regarding the business.

Maybe he can do some kind of blackmail?

Once he's got at least underwear on, he pauses his music and places a call to The Harbor, expecting the idea to just come to him when he's on the phone.

"Good morning," Siren's cheery customer service voice comes through the line, "The Harbor Rehabilitation Clinic, this is Siren."

Zayn clears his throat. "Hello, this is Zayn. You spoke to one of my associates, Nick, a few days ago?"

Back in her office, Siren's eyes bulge out of her skull. Did he just say Zayn??

"Yes! Hello, Mr. Malik, how may I help you?"

I take it she's heard of me, Zayn thinks as he continues. "Right," he replies, channeling his inner confident salesman. "I have a favor to ask."

"Oh?" Siren asks, wondering what on earth Zayn Malik could possibly need from her.

"I need you to pick something up from a different location, and deliver it to a patient of yours," he grins, putting on his own customer service voice.

Siren sits back in her chair, holding back a scoff. What an entitled dick. "With all due respect, why would we do that?"

Yeah, Z. Why would they do that? he thinks.

"Name your price," he murmurs, "I'm sure you know I can match it."

"Well," she coos, matching his energy, "you are a preferred supplier at the moment. How about a free shipment?"

You're out of your motherfucking mind—"I can do a free item on your next order."

The red stain on Siren's lips quirks up as she smirks. "Give me five minutes to find a driver and call me back."

Zayn agrees and hangs up, giving Siren a chance to let out a breath she didn't know she was holding. Ho-ly shit, she breathes, calling Liam's phone quickly, I better get a fucking raise after this.