Chapter 14: Gleameyes

Kirito and Shino walked through the bustling marketplace on the 48th floor, their footsteps echoing on the cobblestone streets. The morning sun bathed Aincrad in a warm glow, but Kirito couldn't shake the tension that lingered in the air. He glanced at Shino, who seemed preoccupied, her usually sharp eyes dull with something he couldn't quite place.

"I'm glad Lisbeth could upgrade your weapon," Kirito said, trying to break the silence. "She really knows her craft."

Shino nodded, her fingers brushing the newly enhanced bow slung across her back. "Yeah, she's amazing. I'll feel a lot safer with this."

They turned down a narrow alley, heading toward a small shop that specialized in rare items. Kirito's mind was on the types of potions and crystals they might need for their next adventure, but Shino's attention seemed elsewhere.

As they approached the shop, a familiar voice called out to them. "Kirito? Shino?"

Kirito turned to see Asuna, the sub-leader of the Knights of the Blood, approaching with her ever-present bodyguard, Kuradeel, a tall man with a stern expression. The sight of them made Kirito stop in his tracks.

Shino's reaction was immediate. Without a word, she grabbed Kirito's hand and started pulling him in the opposite direction.

"Shino, what—" Kirito began, but she cut him off with a desperate look.

"Just run!" she hissed, her grip tightening as they dashed through the alleyways.

Kirito's heart pounded, not just from the sudden sprint but from the confusion that gnawed at him. Why was Shino running? What was she hiding?

Despite their efforts, Asuna and Kuradeel caught up to them, blocking their path. Asuna's usually gentle expression was stern, her hazel eyes fixed on Shino.

"Shino," Asuna said, her voice carrying both concern and authority, "why did you leave the guild?"

Shino's face was pale, her lips pressed into a tight line. She avoided Asuna's gaze, instead turning to Kirito. "Kirito, please... stay here. I need to talk to Asuna alone."

Kirito hesitated but nodded. "Alright. But... you owe me an explanation later."

Asuna and Shino moved to a secluded alley, leaving Kirito with Kuradeel. The tall bodyguard offered a polite bow, surprising Kirito with his sudden change in demeanor.

"Kirito, right?" Kuradeel said, his voice smooth and measured. "It's a pleasure to meet you."

Kirito nodded, still wary. "Likewise. What's going on here, Kuradeel?"

Kuradeel sighed, glancing toward the alley where Asuna and Shino were speaking. "Shino... she was once a member of the Knights of the Blood. A commander, actually. But she left the guild without a word after she lost someone very close to her. She blames herself for his death."

Kirito felt his chest tighten. Shino had never mentioned anything about this. "She... lied to me?"

Kuradeel shook his head. "I wouldn't say she lied. More like... she hid the truth. It's not an easy thing to talk about, losing someone you care about."

Kirito's mind raced as he processed this new information. Shino, the calm and composed archer he had come to rely on, had been carrying this weight all along. He felt a pang of guilt for not seeing through her facade.

"So, what's your relationship with Shino?" Kuradeel asked, his tone casual but his eyes sharp.

Kirito looked up, meeting Kuradeel's gaze. "We're friends. We're in the same guild, the Moonlight Black Cats."