Uno

"C-colet! RUN! KEEP RUNNING! They're so close behind us. We can't stop-- R-RUNNING!" I shouted as my best friend, Colet, and I ran for our lives.

'No. This cannot be happening. Out of all the things that could happen to this damned world, why does it have to be this?!' I said in my thoughts.

"FUCK!" Colet shouted. "MIKHA! Throw me your spare knife!" I looked for the spare knife in my bag and handed it to her safely. The moment she grabbed it, she stabbed through the skull of our enemy.

"Keep running Mikhaela!" She shouted sternly, and I went back to my senses. We are on the run right now. Away from these.....MONSTERS.

It was the middle of the night when our hideout got swarmed by the undead. Thanks to Colet's laid-out alarm system of strings and cans, we could hear them walking in before they got to us. Little did we know it was a horde of them. We got to break out in time and have been continuously running for the past half an hour, trying to escape them.

We killed plenty, but their numbers seem to be unending. Each kill appears to increase their numbers rather than decrease them.

We made a right at a crossroads and tried to hide behind the abandoned cars so they couldn't see us. Colet sat beside me and put a finger on my lips. She was telling me to stay quiet. She grabbed my arm and pulled me under the car to hide until the horde passed. Hopefully, they passed.

I looked at my surroundings and saw that the horde was running past us, which gave me hope that we could lose them. If not, we won't survive the night running away from them.

Colet and I held hands, silently praying that we would be safe in our current position. With each passing infected running, the earth was shaking a little due to their numbers. Colet was also on high alert and gripped her weapon tightly. Ready to kill when need be. Her hazel brown hair looked messy, and beads of sweat appeared on her face.

We were panting as we waited almost thirty minutes before the horde passed us. "I think they're gone," I said while scanning the surroundings. "Yeah. Come on. Let's run for it before any more of them show up," Colet said, and we crawled out from under the car. Colet helped me up, and we dusted off our clothes.

"This way Mikhs. Let's go the other way. No time to lose," Colet said, and I followed behind her. We were running and simultaneously staying vigilant of our surroundings. With our weapons in our hands, it was the safest we could ever feel. I had a crowbar while Colet used the knife I gave her earlier. She lost her spear when we unexpectedly got attacked. We also have guns in our possession, but this is only a last resort. Noise draws them in, so we need to be extra careful.

After 5 minutes, we slowed down and tried to catch our breath. It was only then that I was able to see the surroundings. The moonlight was shining brightly and was our only source of vision for now. We were walking along a dirt road with large trees on either side. On the left-hand side were green fields, and on the right were tall, abandoned buildings.

I walked beside Colet, and she seemed to be deep in thought. "Care to share?" I said. She snapped out of her thoughts and looked at me with a small smile. "I got scared back there, you know. I thought we were done for when they had barged in," she said. Her voice faltered, but then she regained her composure.

"Yeah, me too. I thought we would be dead. It's a good thing we're pretty athletic, though. Lol," I said, and she laughed a little. "But honestly, we're getting pretty used to running around. What if, one day, we find a place we can call home? A place that has almost everything we need?" I said in a low voice.

Colet held my hand and nudged me to the side. "If we do, we will try to bolster and defend it. We're getting used to running, but settling somewhere safe and habitable would be nice. Where can we enclose ourselves from this nightmare outside?" she enthusiastically said, which made me gag a bit. Enthusiasm isn't her thing, so I know it's the shot of adrenaline talking.