I

1943

The seventh-floor apartment was bathed in the soothing tunes of smooth jazz. A twenty-six-year-old woman swayed gracefully to the music as she untwisted her dirty blonde hair from the rollers. The silky strands cascaded down, gently caressing her shoulders. As she gazed at her reflection in the mirror, her green eyes sparkled with affection at how her dress hugged her figure. Her gaze shifted to the Red Cross nurse's uniform hanging on the metal hanger by the closet door.

As she glanced down, she felt the weight of anticipation building within her. "Just two more days," she whispered to herself, fingertips grazing across the smooth surface of her mirror.

The very idea of this war made her feel sick to her stomach—so many innocent lives at stake. She couldn't shake off the distressing thoughts that consumed her mind. She felt a deep sense of responsibility to take action. She wasted no time signing up when she learned the Red Cross urgently needed nurses to provide aid. With just a week of training, she would soon find herself on the front lines. The gravity of the situation only fueled her determination to fulfill her duty and make a difference.

The peacefulness of the apartment was shattered by a jarring knock that reverberated through the apartment, catching her off guard. Startled, she quickly turned to look at the clock resting on the nightstand.

"Oh shoot!" she exclaimed, startled at the time.

Rushing toward the front door, she nearly tripped over her orange cat, who had settled in for a nap. Her nylon-covered feet caused her to glide across the polished wooden floor, eliciting a boisterous giggle from her lips as she gracefully slid and reached the door. Upon swinging it open, she revealed a familiar sight - her longtime boyfriend standing there with a wide grin.

Nancy gasped for breath, her wide smile lighting up her face. James 'Bucky' Barnes arched an eyebrow at her visibly out-of-breath state.

"Are you okay, Nance?" he inquired as she moved aside to allow him to enter. As he stepped into the room, Nancy couldn't help but notice that he was clad in his uniform, a sight that took her completely by surprise.

"You're wearing your uniform?" Nancy whispered as she closed the door, leaning her back against it. Bucky turned around with his trademark smirk, stepping closer to her.

"I got my orders," he replied, pressing her gently against the door. She let out a soft gasp as he closed the distance between them. Her hands ran up his chest, feeling the firm fabric beneath her fingertips.

Nancy could sense the warmth of his breath on her neck as she leaned into his chest; he gently moved his hands up her leg and rested them on her outer thigh.

"Sergeant James Barnes," Bucky murmured as she trembled against him, feeling the weight of his title affecting her in unexpected ways.

As he leaned in to kiss her neck, she felt a shiver run down her spine. Her delicate hands instinctively moved to his dark hair, fingers intertwining in his locks, causing his hat to tumble onto the floor. Bucky pulled away slightly, his gaze locked with hers, his breath mingling with hers in the charged air. Their eyes held an unspoken conversation, communicating emotions too complex for words.

Nancy gently whispered, her fingers tenderly brushing against his cheek, "When do you leave?"

"First thing tomorrow, I'm in the 107th," Bucky replied. He observed Nancy taking a deep breath as she processed the news.

"You leave before me," Nancy pouted as she attempted to lighten the mood.

"Don't miss me too much," he responded.

"You know I will," she whispered, leaning in closer. She gently pressed her lips against his, savoring the tender moment before playfully slipping under his arm. Her laughter filled the room as he swiftly spun around, his gaze filled with longing and desire.

Nancy came to an abrupt halt, her eyes darting around in confusion as she realized that someone was conspicuously absent.

"Where's Steve?" she inquired, her brow furrowed in concern, as Bucky stooped down to retrieve his fallen hat.

"I thought he was supposed to meet me here?" Bucky responded, brushing off the dust from his hat.

"I thought he was coming with you?" Nancy replied, scratching the back of her neck as she tried to make sense of the situation.

"I'm sure he'll turn up," Bucky spoke reassuringly as he glanced around the room, "but let's continue where we left off." With a confident yet casual demeanor, he began to unfasten the belt wrapped securely around his waist, signaling his readiness to return to the task at hand.

Nancy rolled her eyes and shook her head in disbelief, her expression conveying her worry and frustration. "No, what if he is trying to enlist again?" she asked anxiously, her fingers fidgeting with each other as a clear sign of her concern.

With a deep sigh, Bucky placed the hat back on his head, a hint of annoyance evident on his face as their private moment was once again interrupted. "I'll find him, and we'll meet you there," he assured her. She nodded, feeling his arm envelop her waist as he pulled her close, placing a longing kiss upon her lips before setting off to handle the situation.

"Wait, I found a date for Steve. She'll meet you there too," Bucky called out before closing the door behind him. Nancy stood there, feeling confused as her mind raced with questions.

"Who is she?" she called out, unsure of who she should even be looking for.