II

Nancy stood just outside of the Stark expo, tapping her foot impatiently and staring at the watch on her wrist. Earlier, Bucky had called, informing her that he had found Steve and was bringing him back to his place to tend to freshen up. Nancy knew from experience that "freshening up" meant Steve had been in yet another fight and was most likely a bloody mess. With an exasperated sigh, she surveyed the surroundings, taking note of the numerous men in uniform scattered throughout. This evening marked the final night that the three of them would spend together, and the thought weighed heavily on Nancy's heart. Lost in a trance about their school years, she was startled when a soldier approached her, courteously excusing himself and tipping his hat.

"Can I help you?" Nancy asked in a soft, puzzled tone, wondering why he had approached her. The man cleared his throat and briefly looked towards his friends before returning to Nancy. She took notice of his buddies not far away, watching the pair intensely.

"Hello, Miss," he said, a slight tremor in his voice as his cheeks turned a rosy shade from embarrassment. "I was wondering if you'd like to join me for the show?"

Nancy's eyes widened slightly as she now understood that he was asking her out. A sense of warmth flooded through her as she saw the vulnerability in his expression. With a kind and genuine smile, Nancy gently touched his arm. "I'm flattered, sir, truly, but I'm actually waiting for someone," she said, glancing over his shoulder and noticing Bucky and Steve approaching her.

"I'm not surprised, miss," he replied with a hint of admiration, flushing Nancy's cheeks at the unexpected compliment. Nancy nodded, grateful for the brief but memorable interaction, as she squeezed his arm before saying goodbye and wishing him to stay safe.

As she neared, Bucky couldn't help but lift an eyebrow at the sight. Nancy made a direct beeline for Steve, her hands delicately grasping his cheeks, taking him by surprise. She proceeded to gently twist and turn his head.

"Nancy," Steve started,

"Who was that?" Bucky interjected, his protectiveness evident as he interrupted Steve. Ignoring Bucky, Nancy's attention was drawn to the traces of dried blood around Steve's nose.

"Steve," Nancy began softly, releasing her grip. "What happened?" she inquired, concern evident in her voice.

"Nothing I couldn't handle," Steve replied, attempting to appear nonchalant as he stuffed his hands into his pockets. Nancy studied his face intently. Despite knowing Steve for a decade, she could always tell when he was lying. She shook her head and felt Bucky pull her closer, wrapping his arm around her shoulder.

"Come on, guys. Let's have a good time, shall we?" Bucky grinned, his usual charm lighting up. Nancy smiled and reached for Steve's hand, her eyes warm as she playfully tugged him along. Steve watched wistfully as his two best friends moved ahead. Meeting Nancy was a delight; her charm and kindness immediately captured his heart. However, it had become clear to Steve that he could never compete with Bucky. Tall, strong, and effortlessly charming, Bucky had a magnetic presence. Despite his initial feelings for Nancy, Steve came to cherish their friendship like no other, seeing her as the sister he had always longed for.

Bucky greeted a young woman as they approached the modern Marvis building, waving enthusiastically with one arm. The woman, named Connie, called out to Bucky in a joyful tone, leaving Nancy to raise an eyebrow in response. Bucky then introduced Steve to Connie. Nancy observed the interaction and noticed that while Steve extended a friendly greeting to Connie, she nodded in response, creating an atmosphere of unease between them. Nancy's gentle sigh was barely audible as she and the rest of them stepped into the grand entrance of the building, their eyes bright with curiosity and anticipation. They were all eager to explore and uncover the futuristic wonders that awaited them beyond the threshold, except for Steve, whose thoughts appeared to be preoccupied elsewhere.