10| Trials & Betrayals

It was late by the time I reached my apartment

It was late by the time I reached my apartment. NYC traffic will always remain tough to beat.

I could hear Bella barking from outside the door, she must be hungry. I feel terribly guilty at that thought. I leave her enough food to get her through the day but sometimes she likes to eat a lot.

I open the door and navigate towards my bedroom where her barks are coming from and freeze at the sight of Adam.

"What the hell are you doing here?" the words are out of my mouth before I recover from the shock.

He finishes closing the bedroom door and I understand why Bella is barking.

He locked her inside the room.

Anger seeps into all my nerves and my tiredness of the day washes away leaving me in high alert.

He looks at me, as if my tone surprised him and says, "Bella was being dramatic, she kept barking and wasn't even letting me eat".

I scowl at him, "She doesn't want you here, just like me."

He rolls his eyes and steps towards me, "Olive, I live here too. I'm not moving out because of an argument, be a little practical".

I'm baffled at his audacity, "An argument? You cheated on me! This isn't just an argument Adam, we're breaking up if it wasn't already clear" I tell him with finality.

His eyes soften, "Baby, I regret it. I know I messed up but I don't want to give up on us. We can get through this, I promise we won't have any more secrets. I'll tell you everything. I'll even leave this job and search for a new one if you want."

I almost believe him. I almost give up my dignity to give it a chance. We all make mistakes, we all hurt people unintentionally, we all aren't perfect.

But even if I forgive him for cheating, I cannot look past his behavior last night.

The way he got so angry that he ended up losing control. It could've been so much worse. His fingerprints are still decorating my wrist as bruises.

I don't want to feel like that, ever again.

So, we all may make mistakes, unintentionally hurt people we care for and we all might be imperfect.

But we always deserve better. Better than what we might have to offer.

I look him in the eyes, step closer and roll my sleeves up. His eyes follow the movement and the bruises catch his attention.

His eyes widen when I say, "You have 10 minutes to pack up all you need and get out of here. I'm not giving 'us' a chance, leave me alone. You're lucky I haven't reported you for abuse yet, good luck with your job then."

He hesitates but the fury on my face must tell him how serious I am, because he gulps and nods.

I enter my bedroom without even giving him a glance.