Prologue

THIRD PERSON'S POV:

The midnight sky over Central Dominion was an expanse of ink, pierced only by the occasional flicker of distant stars. The grand city, usually alive with activity, was now cloaked in eerie silence, its towering spires and elaborate bridges casting long, ominous shadows across the empty streets. The only sounds were the distant hum of the wind and the faint rustling of leaves in the cold night air.

In the heart of this vast metropolis, a lone figure moved swiftly through the labyrinth of narrow alleyways. Her footsteps echoed softly against the cobblestones, the rhythm urgent yet controlled. She was draped in a dark cloak, its hood pulled low over her face, concealing her features from any prying eyes. But beneath the hood was the unmistakable protrusion at the sides of her head—a subtle hint of the Vritra blood that coursed through her veins—marked her as different, as dangerous.

Clutched tightly to her chest was a newborn baby girl, wrapped carefully in a thick blanket. The infant's fragile form was nearly lost in the folds of fabric, but her tiny, rhythmic breaths could be heard if one listened closely. The baby stirred occasionally, her delicate whimpers barely audible over the whisper of the wind, as if sensing the tension that gripped her mother.

The woman's heart pounded in her chest, not from exertion but from the fear that gnawed at her insides. She knew what would happen if she were caught here, in the very heart of the Vritra Clan's dominion. The child in her arms—her daughter—was a secret that should not be exposed. Not here. Not in Central Dominion, where the Vritra Clan's rule was absolute.

She hurried through the deserted streets, her movements fluid and practiced, her path a carefully chosen route through the city's darkened corners. The grand architecture of Central Dominion loomed overhead, the stone walls and ornate arches a testament to the city's grandiose and influence. But tonight, they felt like a prison, the city's grandeur suffocating in its silence.

A sudden noise—a faint shuffle of feet—caught her attention. She froze, pressing herself against the cold, unyielding stone of a nearby building. Her hood dipped further, hiding her face in deeper shadows as her eyes darted around the narrow alley. The sound of distant voices reached her ears, growing louder, more distinct. 

She held her breath, clutching her daughter closer, her mind racing. The infant, sensing the tension, let out a soft, questioning whimper. The woman's heart clenched, and she gently rocked the child, her whispered words barely audible beneath her hood.

"Shhh, little one. We're almost there... almost safe."

The voices drew nearer, their conversation unintelligible but unmistakably authoritative. The woman's pulse quickened. She couldn't afford to be seen, not here, not now. Not with the baby. She pressed further into the shadows, praying that the darkness would conceal her.

For a few agonizing moments, they lingered near her hiding spot, their voices casual, unaware of the life-or-death situation mere feet away. Then, with a final exchange of words, they moved on, their footsteps gradually fading into the distance.

The woman exhaled slowly, allowing herself a brief moment of relief. But she couldn't rest. Not yet. She slipped from the shadows, her pace quickening as she continued through the maze of streets. The grand towers of Central Dominion loomed ever closer, their tops lost in the night sky. She could see her destination now—a narrow passage between two towering buildings, barely visible in the darkness.

She reached it, slipping into the passage and pausing just long enough to catch her breath. The walls closed in around her, the alleyway barely wide enough to pass through. But it offered safety, a temporary refuge from the prying eyes of the city.

With one last glance at her daughter, still nestled safely in her arms, the woman pressed forward into the night. The path ahead was uncertain, filled with danger and fear. But for the sake of the life she held close, she would endure it all. The city of Central Dominion, with its imposing structures and ever-watchful gaze, could not stop her now.

And so, she vanished into the depths of the night...

~~

A/N: So here is the Mysterious start to Caera's story. I am not going to spoil anything or tell you much about it. If you like this prologue make sure to vote for it. The context will start to slowly reveal from the next chapter.