14

"Hmmm," Lucius seemed amused, but allowed the change of topic nonetheless. "I found quite a few people who are willing to release memories, under the condition that it implicates Potter and his friends. it was rather shocking, but then again they are schoolyard bullies with dangerous advatages. If I manage to get some to release the memories of speaking to Dumbledore, I may also ensure the swine leaves as well." Severus was legitimately shocked that Lucius was trying so hard for him. While he knew it had to do with politics, to go so far...it just seemed surprising. He knew that Malfoy had connections, that much was obvious...but it was somewhat of a surprise how easily he managed to get people willing to speak up and out. He wondered what that meant for Dumbledore, and even more so what it meant for the Potters.

Despite himself, he could not help but wonder about Regulus. The new Black Heir...he seemed reserved, nervous, and a bit beyond his comfort zone. Lucius had told him to watch out for him, and while Severus was intimiately aware with the legendary fights between the two brothers, he could not help but wonder. He knew...of course he did...that the Black family was abusive. Walburga and Orion do not make that a secret, and Lucius had been heard ranting about it more than once while Regulus almost cowered in the corner of the sofa. Yet the way he acted with Lucius? Something more dubious was going on, and Severus had to say he did not feel comfortable not knowing.

He was certain he could figure it out. Should he be given enough time, energy and work on gaining Regulus' trust, he could eventually get him to divulge what he knew. He just knew that it was going to be difficult. Regulus was the wary type similar to himself. Though he guessed that their similarities could help in Severus navigating. While it may not be smart to intervene between the relationship of Lucius and Regulus, Severus knew that there was something odd going on between the two, and he would rather know what it was before tying all his horses to the Malfoy pureblood. It was not wise to leave stones unturned, after all, and if he could get some decent blackmail material, well that was even better, whether it be against Malfoy or Black.

"Severus, are you all here, it seems like you have left yourself to go into lala land." Severus jolted himself back towards the present, and cursed himself inwardly for allowing his dazed state to go noticed. Icy eyes did not seem angry, if anything they were more like laughing at him.

"I just was wondering how exactly you intend to gather these memories. Surely memories alone is not going to be enough to convince the Wizemagont?" Severus waited for Lucius, who seemed deep in thought.

"No, you are right, a set of memories, no matter how damning, is not going to convince everyone. We would need some who are willing to go under veritesurem. Of course, I do not mean you, Severus, no need to look so pale. No, there are a few who would work...but I think our dear Regulus is probably our best bet. After all, he knows Black, and he has information on Dumbledore as well..." Severus couldn't help but curse himself. There goes his attempt to gain Regulus' trust...

Unless he told Regulus. He could warn him of what Lucius wants to do. Then, even if Lucius had already told him, Regulus would begin to think him nothing more than an ally, or informant, at the least. That was something he could work with, even if it was not necessarily ideal. Given the fact that Regulus was going to be tagging along with him, he was sure that he could gather trust...he just had to figure out the best way to do it without Regulus being aware what he was up to.

That part was going to be the difficult part, especially considering how perceptive the Heir was, but either way, Severus knew a bit of ambitious determination would work in his favor. He had to figure out what was going on between him and Lucius. Their relationship was odd enough now, that he needed to know the full scope. If Regulus was unnerved and frightened of Lucius, it was likely because of something Lucius had done, and since Regulus was a pureblood, Severus had no delusions that he would be treated any better than whatever it was that caused Regulus' obedience towards Malfoy. If he could figure out what it was...Severus could have at least a little idea of what awaited him down the line.

That was, of course, assuming Lucius retained his obsessiveness once Severus outlasted his usefulness. He was not sure Malfoy would care for him anymore, but he was also not sure that was a bad thing.