Chapter 7 - Control

"What?" Uncle Nikky freezes still. His growl is low and full of worry.

"Nik she can't control it," Mummy tells him and his eyes flicker over to me. I clutch mummy's hand tightly, feeling scared.

His eyes bulge when the facts sink in. His plan is useless, he cannot raise an army for me to keep alive with healing. Dahlia will have to be stopped another way.

"Maybe I can learn..?" I pipe up in a small voice, tugging on Mummy's arm to get her attention.

"Dora, we aren't quite sure how to teach you yet," Mummy admits. "Freya is looking into your healing magic but we're not sure how to help you develop."

Oh. I stare at my feet.

"We will keep you safe," Uncle Nik promises, kneeling down before me to my eye level. "The whole family will remain here to protect you Dora, you don't need to be scared."

He encourages me to look up at him and when I do, I fling my arms around his neck and squeeze tightly. He stands, picking me up and gives me a reassuring hug. He brush my back and murmurs that it will all be ok and I start to feel a little bit better. I know he loves me so much. He will protect me, everyone will.

"I want to help," I say looking back up at him and Mummy. "Teach me how to heal when I want to, not just when I don't realise it's happening."

Mummy bites her lip and Uncle Nik continues holding me.

"Freya is working very hard to find a way to teach you. At the moment she doesn't know yet," he tells me gently. "I will ask Hope too."

I mull over it for a second before nodding. "Okay, but tell them to be quick."

He nods and carries me back into the hallway, my part in their conversation now over. Henry's tail is wagging again and I wriggle to be put down.

"Henry you have to be a good doggy okay?" I tell him the new rules sternly. "Raphael is my crow, he is a friend not food."

Henry's tongue hangs out and he pants looking at my crow carefully. I repeat the command slowly and it seems to sink in. I make sure I kiss Henry on the head too so he knows I haven't replaced him. He's the best too. They both are.

Raphael doesn't leave my side for the next week. Mummy buys some birdy food for him but I much prefer digging up worms in the garden. He likes both and settles in well. Everyone can see he's not leaving any time soon. Or ever.

I wait anxiously all week, knowing that Dahlia will come back for me. I am never left alone, at minimum I always have at least two of my uncles and aunties with me.

I try to hard to practice my healing on my twin brothers' scrapes from their rough play but I simply can't work out how to. It's very frustrating and brings tears to my eyes. Even Hope who is researching for me elsewhere, can't give any advice.

"I hate it I hate it," I grumble to Raphael while Bekah and 'Lijah watch over me.

Raphael simply caws before taking off, flying in circles above my head. I think he's hungry. That or he is distracting me so I don't feel bad about my inability to heal when I want to.

"Maja, I can show you how to feed him now," I call my big sister who has been eager to see and help.

"With seeds or worms?" She asks and I haul her outside to dig in the mulch.

We giggle and wipe a little mud on our faces, pretending we are monsters chasing each other around the garden. Raphael isn't impressed because we quickly forget what we came out for as our game descends into hide-and-seek.