Chapter 25

Wakasa Imaushi~2019
The room was hardly lit, the only things were the candles in the middle, and the red cloaked people. There were about 300 of us, maybe less. We lost count, most of the people here either go missing, or get caught by the authorities. A bell rang, and all of the red cloaked people started to leave. I stood there, putting out the candles.
I am a part of a cult, I have been for almost 5 years now. It's called "The Children of the Dark." I heard about it from some random person I met at a bus stop a while back, and he said I looked like the kinda guy to be a part of AA groups, and believe in aliens. I didn't question him, but he told me he ran a cult in Yokohama, and I should join. They had pretty good offerings, and I was desperate for something to make some easy money from. I previously worked as a front desk person at a fitness building, and half of the time I was stuck doing the night shifts, and I ended up cleaning the place more than anything, and it was only a minimum wage job. Soon enough, I joined the cult, and I felt like I was in too deep to stop. Plus, I am pretty close to being one of the leaders.

I finished blowing out all of the candles and started to walk out of the abandoned hall. My red cloak was dragging behind me, it was a bit too big, since I had my uniform passed down from me by the boss, who was almost 6"0, and I was only 5"3. When I walked outside it was almost midnight, like always. The cult had a weird thing where it was forbidden to go out in the sun while wearing the cloak, and if you did you would get punished. The meetings always started when the sun went down, and always ended at midnight. If it was sunny before the meeting, it would get postponed to a different day.
The cult had a lot of weird rules. Like, members were forbidden from discussing the cult outside its meetings, and any attempt to reveal its secrets to outsiders was met with severe consequences. We also had to follow a strict ritualistic schedule: midnight meetings, obscure ceremonies, and a vow of silence during certain phases of the rituals. The most peculiar rule, though, was the one about the sun. The cult believed that the sun's rays could weaken our spiritual connection, a belief that kept us in full night. If you were caught in the sun, the group would sacrifice you to the underworld, in their monthly sacrifice bonfire. I only went to one, a few years back, but the traitor went missing a few days before, and was found dead in a river in Kyoto.
I wasn't aware until my first year that it was a satanic group, who was trying to bring Satan back from the underworld or something. I'm not sure because one of the members was telling me once before a meeting, but he was mumbling the whole time, and his cloak was partially over his mouth, and to make it worse he had a mask on. I still don't understand the whole "evil cult" thing or whatnot, but if you leave they will hunt you down and torment you until you join, or kill youself, whichever one happens first. After hearing that I don't plan on leaving anytime soon.

I walked down the street. It was dark outside, not many people out at a time like this. The sound of the bell was still in the back of my mind, along with the words spoken by the leader. It was in a language only members can understand, it was like a prayer to the underworld. Nonsense. That's all I thought of it. Sure, I was a member of the cult, but I never cared for what it stood for. It is a place where I am welcomed, and plus I get paid for coming to the meetings. Plus, they promised the members would get protection from the law, which is weird because I couldn't think of how a cult could fight against the legit police, but whatever.

I walked up the stairs to my apartment, and unlocked the door. I walked inside, took off my shoes and Takeomi was there, he was watching tv, eating a box of take out chinese food. I rolled my eyes and walked into the kitchen and grabbed a beer. Takemoi laughed, "Your back? How did your alien meeting go? And why are you wearing a dress? Is there something wrong with you?" He had a dumb smirk on his face.
I took the cloak off and threw it onto the kitchen counter, and then I opened the can and took a long sip, "It's not an 'alien group'" I mumbled " it's actually a cult. And for your information it's a cloak, not a dress."
He shrugged and looked back at the tv.