7: Nostalgia, my good ol' friend of mine!

────୨ৎ 3rd Person POV ୨ৎ────

How many times do I have to repeat this? Mingyu thought, fidgeting with his pen as he stares onto the blank question in front of him, rereading the question more than the average steps you take every day. "5 more minutes!" The teacher called, murmurs of students going, 'What? Already?' Or 'I'm not done yet!" Spreading throughout the classroom.

Mingyu's eyes opened widely, writing some random praise and quickly puts the pen down, reviewing his answers quickly before raising his hands up, "Teacher, I'm done." He walks over to the teacher's table, placing it down. "Can I take a breather real quick outside?" He asked, walking out as he received a nod.

Even if the exams were over, Mingyu still felt stressed about his results, remembering the one goal he settled to achieve 2 years ago: 'putting his name on the same paper with Wonwoo's'.

Mingyu's feet tapped the floor nervously, rethinking some of the answers he wrote.

He was in his own little bubble, just him and himself only, his thoughts surrounding him.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry." A voice was heard in front of Mingyu, which made him realize a basketball rolled up to his feet, picking it up. "It's fine, I didn't really realize it anyway- Minghao?" Mingyu's eyes widen, "Mingyu?" Minghao's tone shocked, the two boys staring at each other in silence.

────୨ৎ 11 years ago ୨ৎ────

It was a sunny morning, mobs of kids roaming around the hall, and in those mobs of kids, stood 6 year old Mingyu, it was his first day of elementary school.

Mingyu had to shift schools due to moving to a different place, and new school means new friends, new teachers, new everything. The little boy was scared, new to the environment surrounding him, unlike him, the other students were chatting to their friends they knew last grade.

"Hey." A voice called out, which made Mingyu's head perk up, looking at every direction to find out where the voice was. "Over here." Mingyu's head turned front, seeing a boy smiling at him.

As the shy boy Mingyu is, he pointed at himself in a questioning manner, not wanting to embarrass himself of the first day. "Yes, you." The boy reassured, walking up to Mingyu.

"I'm Xu Minghao, what's your name?" The boy introduced, which made Mingyu a bit off guard, no one this friendly goes up to him like that. "I'm... Kim Mingyu." He shyly said, "Woah, our names both start with M!" Minghao happily stated, "Are you new here?" He asked, watching Mingyu nodding his head in approval, his smile growing wider, "Cool! I'm new too, I'm from China but I lived most of my life in Korea." He said.

And that was the start of Mingyu and Minghao's friendship, an unbreakable bond between them.

They were now grade 7, the two chilling together on the bench in a park, telling funny stories about each other. "Uhh, Mingyu?" Minghao hesitantly called, "Yep?" Mingyu replied, playing with a flower he plucked, "I'm... leaving." The other said straightforwardly, "Oh, you have to go? Well then, see you tomorrow!" Mingyu, who have entirely misread the situation, made Minghao let out a chuckle, "No, no, not like that." He sighs, "I'm going to leave the school." Mingyu's smile drops a bit, not sure how to act.

"But I can still meet you in our hang out places, right?" Mingyu asked, looking for some hope, "No.. I'm moving back to China." Minghao replied, sadly watching Mingyu's hoped smile drop fully. "Wait, what? Why?" The other's eyes widen, not believing the information, "Well you see, my dad got a job opportunity back in China, and I'm pretty sure you can understand the rest." Minghao explained, "So is this a final goodbye?" Mingyu's voice softened, not accepting the fact that his childhood best friend would be leaving him like this.

"Don't think like that, who knows, we might meet in the future." Minghao replied, patting the sad boy's back, "Promise you won't forget about me?" He put out his pinky, "Promise." Mingyu brought out his pinky and made a promise between each other.

────୨ৎ Present ୨ৎ────

"So, you really didn't forget about me?" Minghao chuckled, holding the ball, "What? It was a promise." Mingyu rolls his eyes, smacking the other's head, "Ouch!" The other winced, feigning pain, "I didn't even hit you hard." Mingyu replies, as he slings his shoulder on Minghao, the two chatting like it's been forever.

"Who's that with Mingyu?" Ken asked jealously, nudging the others and pointing at Mingyu and Minghao, "I dunno, a friend?" Seungkwan nonchalantly reply, sighing at Ken's nonstop jealousy. "Mingyu and random dude, get over here!" Ken said bluntly, getting a slap on the arm by Jeonghan, who's glaring at him.

"Guys!" Mingyu smiled, dragging Minghao to his friends, "Minghao, meet Jeonghan, Seungkwan, Ken and his 2 other friends, Jisung and Jeongbin," He introduced, "Guys, meet Minghao, my childhood best friend!" The others greeted hi.

"Oh, so you're that guy Mingyu kept on yapping about." Seungkwan let out a sigh in realization. "So you really did not forget about me?" Minghao eyes widen in disbelief, not expecting Mingyu to keep his promise.

"Well its finally great to meet you," Jeonghan spoke, "Which class are you?" He asked, "I'm in class C, I'm new here." Minghao replied.

"You're new? Say, did anyone tour you around?" Jeonghan asked, waiting for an answer, "No, not yet." Minghao replied, "That's great! Mingyu can show you around!" Jeonghan grabbed Mingyu, whispering, "Go with him, try to make Wonwoo jealous!" He then pushes the tall boy back to where he's standing.

"Uhh, okay, i guess?" Mingyu shrugs his shoulder, walking off with Minghao.

"What did he whisper to you?" Minghao asked curiously, "Nothing for you to worry about." Mingyu replied, the 2 strolling around the halls. "By the way," Minghao spoke, "That Ken guy... is he your boyfriend?" He asked, curious. "Ken? No." Mingyu denied, shaking his head, "Oh, sorry, he just.. acts like, y'know?" Minghao stuttered, not knowing how to put it in words, "Yeah, yeah, I get it, he just has a massive crush on me." The other replied, trying to match Minghao's pace, "And you haven't done anything yet?" Minghao tilted his head in confusion, "Of course not, I- uh... friend-zoned him." Mingyu replied awkwardly.

"What? And he still fawns over you? You should give him a chance, Mingyu." The two continue strolling, the school tour had mostly become a tour of their lives while they were seperated. "I know, but.. I already like someone." Mingyu says as he abruptly stops, "Really who?" Minghao's eyes widen in surprise. "Uh... you know Jeon Wonwoo?" "I think so, I heard few girls in my class talking about a Jeon Wonwoo, the smartass, acclaimed very good looking and probably the next Einstein guy?" Minghao nods, "Uhh.. Yeah, him. So you see, I... like him." Mingyu scratches the back of his head.

"Really?" Minghao's eyes widen even more, "As a childhood friend, I support you with whoever you like, but Wonwoo is way, way out of your league." He said, "I know," Mingyu sadly sighs, "That's why I'll reach up to his league!" He enthusiastically says, Minghao eye rolling and sighs at his delusional friend.

────୨ৎ END ୨ৎ────