he fought the minotaur? HIM?

i sat next to the black haired boy, his breathing steady. after chiron and i found him on the porch of the big house and he had fell unconscious, chiron assigned me with the job of bringing him back to normal.

i had no idea what "normal" was. he kept on muttering in his sleep, and one time his drool almost dripped onto my hand. gross.

i didn't really want the job, but i was glad i had something to keep me busy. i really didn't want to be stuck doing camp activities when I was distracted about the stolen object. distraction meant no focus and no focus meant losing.

nuh uh. annabeth chase was not losing.

once he woke up while i was feeding him pudding, because as chiron said, "unconscious or not, he needs food" when i saw his eyes open, i immediately questioned him.

"what will happen at the summer solstice?" i asked. he looked confused. "what?" he croaked groggily.

I looked around to make sure Chiron wasn't here. I lowered my voice. "What's going on? What was stolen?"

He didn't answer. I rolled my eyes, frustrated. If he couldn't give me answers, then who could? Chiron and Dionysus and the satyrs wouldn't tell me a single thing!

"I'm sorry," mumbled the boy. "I don't—"

His sentence got interrupted by someone knocking on the door. I recognized the knocks as Chiron's. I shoved a spoonful of pudding inside his mouth and turned to answer the door.

The boy fell back unconscious, which only made me even more frustrated. Gods! Why didn't anyone have the answers? I hated not knowing what was going to happen!

when he finally woke up, after two days, he turned out to be a lot dumber than i expected. sure, he had been talking about barnyard animals in his sleep, but i just figured he was dreaming.

when he woke up, he acted as if he couldn't even hurt the minotaur, much less kill it. he kept on asking stupid questions and blah blah blah. really? and i thought he would be important.

i remember very clearly what happened. i was on the porch, watching Mr D and Chiron play pinochle. I had never really understood that game. Sure, I understood it (since I understand everything) but I didn't understand why it was like that. what was the point?

anyways, chiron introduced me to percy. he told me to check on his bunk in the hermes cabin. nothing special. except for the fact that he just freaking killed the minotaur.

he was a few inches shorter than me and he looked about my age. i glanced at the minotaur horn in his hands. did he really kill that? instead of asking him about it, i said the first thing that came to mind. "you drool when you sleep."

then i ran down the lawn, a bit surprised and a bit embarrassed i had just said that out loud. i glanced behind me once and percy was talking to mr d. probably about immortals and all that.

i remembered my talk with chiron. it had been really weird, but since i was young, it made it a lot easier to believe.

————————————————————

i was reading my favorite greek architecture book when percy and chiron came by. chiron had got out of his wheelchair, which did seem to be weird to percy, but he looked like he had gotten over that so he probably had a few minutes to process.

he was looking at my book, trying to read the title, but his dyslexia must have been acting up because he looked totally confused.