Keeping Sid

The herd smiled as they walked back to the valley, catching up with the rest of the animals who were getting off the boat that kept them safe. Frida and Diego smiled as they walked with Sid, looking at the kids who ran by them happily.

"I don't know", Sid said. "Now I'm thinking about starting a swim school. Sid's Squids."

"Real catchy", Frida smiled.

Their happiness was interrupted when Sid screamed suddenly and hid behind Diego. He and Frida looked and gasped when they saw what Sid screamed about. It was a tribe of multicolored mini-sloths. Was this the same tribe that Sid mentioned before?

"All hail Fire King!" the female leader shouted, making them all bow.

Frida and Diego looked at each other in disbelief. So a tribe really did worship Sid... why? They had no idea.

"Uh... hi?" Sid nervously said.

"Hi! Hi! Hi!" the sloths all repeated.

The tigers looked at Sid even more confused. These little sloths were even weirder than Sid.

"Fire King avert flood", the female said. "Join us, o great and noble flaming one."

Sid smiled feeling happy and proud that he was wanted. Frida looked at Diego waiting for him to say something that would keep Sid with the herd.

"Whoa, not so fast there!" Diego said approaching the tribe. "You make a quality offer, but Fire King has a prior commitment. His herd needs him. He is the gooey, sticky... stuff that holds us together."

Frida giggled at his choice of words. Gooey, sticky stuff? Was Sid supposed to take that as a compliment?

"He made this herd, and we'd be nothing without him."

Now, that last statement was heartwarming. Even Sid thought so because he looked like he was going to cry.

"You mean it?"

He wrapped his arms around Diego, hugging him tightly. Diego started growling and moved his head away. He may liked Sid as a friend, but that did nothing to change that horrible smell Sid carried around with him.

"Sid, that doesn't mean 'want to touch'", he sighed.

They turned to see the tribe all hugging each other. Frida giggled as she nuzzled Diego.

"You big softie", she smiled and licked his cheek.

Manny, Ellie and the possums walked to them and looked at the tribe confused. They looked at Diego waiting for an explanation as to why there was a tribe of mini-sloths hugging each other.

"Don't ask", he sighed.