Chapter 5

On his journey forward Karna encountered Eklavya, a tribal youth from the Nishad tribe with an exceptional talent for archery. Eklavya had approached Drona with a similar request, only to be rejected.

Karna saw Eklavya practising tirelessly in the forest in front of the idol of Drona whom Eklavya craved by his hands when Drona rejected him. Karna approached him with a mix of curiosity and empathy.

Karna: Parnipat oh warrior, I saw you practicing archery alone in the forest. Your skill is remarkable. May I know who you are?

Eklavya: I am Eklavya, son of the head of the Nishad tribe near Magadha. I came here seeking education from Guru Drona, but he rejected me because of my origin. However, I have vowed that I will learn archery on my own. May I ask, who are you?

Karna: I am Karna, the son of Adhiratha, the charioteer of Hastinapur. I too sought education from Guru Drona, but like you, I was rejected due to my lineage.

Eklavya nodded, frustration evident in his voice. " It seems fate has dealt us similar hands, Karna. However, Guru Drona turned me away. But I consider him my Guru and will not give up. I have fashioned this clay statue of Guru Drona, and I practice every day before it, imagining him as my teacher."

Karna, moved by Eklavya's determination, "Mitr you have found a way to turn rejection into strength. Perhaps we are not so different after all. The world may deny us the honour of learning from the best, but it cannot deny us the honour of becoming the best through our own efforts."

Eklavya smiled gratefully. "Thank you, Karna. Your words inspire me to persevere."

Drona continued teaching the Pandavas and Kauravas, the sons of the late King Pandu and King Dhritarashtra, respectively.

Ashwatthama, feeling frustrated and overlooked, approaches his father, Guru Drona, after a training session.

Ashwatthama: (with a mix of frustration and hurt) Father, I have a question that has been troubling me for some time.

Drona: (noticing his son's tone, looks at him with concern) What is it, Putra? You can always speak your mind to me.

Ashwatthama: (hesitant but determined) Father, I am training hard under your guidance. I have learned every technique you have taught, and I can perform the same feats as Arjuna. Then why, Father, do you favour him over me, your own son? Why is Arjuna your favourite student?

Drona: (pauses thoughtfully, placing a hand on Ashwatthama's shoulder) Ashwatthama, your skill and dedication are not in question. You are remarkable, and I am proud of you. But there is something that sets Arjuna apart, something that goes beyond mere skill. Let me show you why I hold him in such high regard.

Drona gathers all his students, including Ashwatthama, Arjuna, Yudhishthira, Bhima, and others, for a special test. A wooden bird is suspended high on a branch of a tree, and Drona instructs each student to prepare for a test of their archery skills.

Drona: (addressing all the students) Today, I will test your focus and concentration, which are as important as your skill with a bow. Each of you will take turns aiming at the wooden bird on that branch. But before you release your arrow, you must tell me what you see.

The students line up, eager to prove their skills.

Drona: (to the first student, Yudhishthira) Yudhishthira, step forward and take aim at the bird.

Yudhishthira: (drawing his bow and aiming at the bird) Yes, Guruji.

Drona: (calmly) Tell me, Yudhishthira, what do you see?