The cold ones

"The cold ones."

"The cold ones."

"The cold ones."

The rest of the school day felt as if I had a tape on repeat in my mind; and there was nothing I could do to stop it. I couldn't concentrate on anything, my mind was far, far away, remembering the tales Robin told us before he left. I was trying my hardest to connect the dots, because they seemed so close to each other, yet so far away at the same time.

"I hope you enjoyed your lunch with Vlad today", Macie said with a sarcastic tone on our way out of the school. She quickly snapped me out of my daydreams, pushing me to actually address the situation. Because honestly, we haven't really talked about anything since lunch; or so I recall. 

"It was actually nice", I reply quietly. "You guys should give him a chance, I really think he's a good person." Person. If that's even what he really is. I awkwardly smiled swiftly, then turned my head to the other side. My friends didn't seem to find my line very convincing, but no one seemed to oppose either. Not long after that, we said our goodbyes and went our separate ways. But I still couldn't stop the voices in my head, whispering... the cold ones. The cold ones. The cold ones. I needed answers more than anything. So, on my way to the bus station, I suddenly slowed my pace until I eventually stopped walking. I stared into the distance for a second. After that, I decided that I should go to the library and research. I was still affirming myself academically through that, right? Research is still research, regardless of the study object. And I clearly knew what mine was going to be: the cold ones.

I turned myself back around and steadily headed towards the central library. I came to the conclusion that the school's library was definitely not as wide as that one, especially in the means of my domain of interest. I was just hoping I wouldn't meet someone I knew on the way, because how was I going to explain myself? I bet they were already thinking that something's off about me and I wasn't going to make that worse.

Shortly, I made it to the library. It had a very grand, arched entrance. It felt like walking through a portal of time, that transported me back to ages ago. I could hear the sound of the city slowly fading away behind me, as the library was pulling me in, more and more. For a brief moment, it felt like more than just a library; more than just a place where you pick up a book, then walk away and go on about your day. It was like a whole new universe opened in front of my eyes the moment I stepped in. Of course, it was nothing like the libraries you'd see in movies, such as the one in Beauty and the Beast. Matter of fact, I've always wanted a library like that. But even so, this place felt different from everything else in Sigswood. Maybe this is where I really belong in this town; laying on a shelf for what seems to be eternity with a whole universe trapped within my soul, surrounded by thousands of other endless universes, carefully wrapped in leather, and only opened up by the people who really, really want to know my story.

I politely greeted the librarian with my head, then I began looking around, trying my hardest to put up the fire that had been set in my mind. I was quietly pacing around the book shelves, trying to read the vertically written titles and authors, in hopes to finally find what I'd been looking for. I eventually found the Fantasy section; but it seemed like all the books were nothing but fictional novels about sappy love stories between mythical creatures. But that was no help for me. I sighed in dissatisfaction, having no choice but to move forward. It was almost unbelievable that this place that felt so magical had nothing to offer, in reality. But as I got deeper into the library, I found a thin, wooden desk with two old computers on top. I pondered for a moment, then I decided I should check them out. It was my absolute last resort, anyway. I stepped closer to the table and pulled myself a chair. Its leg scratched the aged wood on the floor, letting out a short, sharp scratch that made my shoulders tense up. I anxiously looked around, hoping that I didn't bother anyone, then sighed with relief when I found that I was probably the only one there. I regained my composure and sat down. I placed my bag on the ground, close to my chair, then I turned the computer on. I watched the monitor light up poorly and display a totally ancient operating system. I frowned my brows, slightly frustrated, but this was the best I could work with, as of right now.