CHAPTER 2

That morning, Freen and her mother had just returned from the market after buying groceries

That morning, Freen and her mother had just returned from the market after buying groceries. Freen helped her mother unpack the groceries. She was very happy to see many fresh vegetables and her favorite fruits that her mother had bought. Then she helped her mother chop the vegetables for cooking later. The two of them were busy in the kitchen until noon.

"We’re almost done. Can you please call your father?" said her mother.

Freen nodded and then went to the back of the house. There was a room that her father used as a laundry business, which he had run since Freen was a child.

"Mom is calling you. She says lunch is ready," Freen called out when she saw her father ironing clothes with a steam iron.

"Just a little more to do, sweetheart. I’ll join you both soon," her father replied.

"You don't want to see mom nagging during lunch, do you?" Freen teased, knowing her father was very afraid when her mother started to nag.

"Ah... You're right. Let's go before your mom comes after us and nags at both of us."

Father and daughter laughed together. Their mother was the person they loved the most in the house, but she was also the one they feared the most when she got into her strict mode.

After lunch, mom was busy cleaning the house, while Freen helped her father in the laundry room. The father and daughter were busy washing and ironing customers' clothes until evening. Freen enjoyed helping her father with the family laundry business.

Even though it was still a home business, they had a good number of loyal customers who regularly used their services. Freen learned how to wash clothes properly and how to iron neatly from her father.

After packing the customers' freshly ironed clothes, her father attached labels with the names and prices to be charged to their customers.

"Let me deliver them, Dad," Freen offered, as they provided pickup and delivery services for their laundry business.

"No need. It looks like it's going to rain soon. I'll do it," her father replied.

For some reason, Freen had a bad feeling. She tried several times to stop her father from delivering the clothes that evening. Her mother had the same feeling as her daughter.

"Can’t it be delivered tomorrow?" asked her mother.

Freen’s father shook his head. He said that some of their customers needed the clothes for the next morning.

That evening, the sky looked very dark. It seemed like it would rain soon. However, Freen’s father insisted on delivering the clothes, so Freen and her mother gave up trying to stop him from going.

"Be careful on the road, Dad," Freen said.

"I’ll buy you your favorite toast later," the old man said, patting his daughter’s head before kissing her forehead.