Xiao Liu's Teasing Backfires

In this scene, Xiao Liu playfully teases Shi Qi about romance and passion after catching Chuan Zi in a compromising situation. Expecting to fluster Shi Qi with his usual antics, Xiao Liu instead finds himself surprised when Shi Qi's calm exterior hides a playful wolf beneath. What begins as teasing quickly turns into an intimate and revealing moment between the two, as Xiao Liu's taunts unexpectedly backfire, leaving him blushing instead. This marks a pivotal shift in their relationship, where flirtation and hidden attraction come to the surface.

-

Shi Qi's POV:

Shi Qi stood quietly in the shadows, his eyes fixed firmly on the ground. The cool stone beneath his feet grounded him as the sounds of Chuan Zi and the prostitute's muffled kisses and increasingly heated gasps filled the alley. His heart thumped in his chest, though he wasn't sure why. Perhaps it was the tension in the air or the way Lao Mu had stormed off, leaving Xiao Liu behind to handle the awkward situation. Either way, his face felt warm, but he kept his gaze down, not wanting to intrude on the scene before him.

But then, he felt it—a presence, a soft, teasing whisper of air that signaled Xiao Liu's approach. Shi Qi kept still, almost willing himself to become invisible as Xiao Liu edged closer, that familiar grin of mischief evident even in the corner of Shi Qi's vision.

"What kind of girls do you like? An innocent fresh-faced type, or a girl like this who is passionate?"

Xiao Liu's voice was low, playful, yet laced with a kind of probing curiosity that made Shi Qi's skin prickle. He didn't move, but the weight of the question lingered in the air between them. He had no desire to answer, and besides, what could he say? The thought of sharing such things—personal things—was far from what he was comfortable with. He was a man of restraint, of composure, someone who avoided such trivialities. Or so he told himself.

But Xiao Liu was relentless, his laugh was that of a playful cat toying with a mouse. Shi Qi felt the pressure of Xiao Liu's body as he trapped him between his arms, pushing against the wall with hands braced on either side of Shi Qi's head. The sudden intimacy caught Shi Qi off guard, his body stiffening in response. Xiao Liu's breath was warm against his cheek, dangerously close, and Shi Qi swallowed hard.

"You want some, too?" Xiao Liu's voice was teasing, but there was a hint of something deeper beneath the surface. Something that made Shi Qi's pulse race in a way he didn't understand.

For a moment, the world seemed to pause. Shi Qi's heart drummed in his chest as Xiao Liu's playful words cut through the night, leaving him with no escape. He could feel Xiao Liu's amusement, his enjoyment of this little game, and it made something in Shi Qi stir. A warmth in his chest. A flicker of something dangerous. And in that brief moment, the well-practiced mask of serenity Shi Qi wore began to crack.

He raised his head, meeting Xiao Liu's gaze for the first time. Despite the faint flush still warming his cheeks, Shi Qi found himself smiling, his eyes soft with humor but sharp with understanding. It was as if he saw through Xiao Liu's teasing exterior, glimpsing the vulnerability Xiao Liu perhaps didn't even realize was there.

The words Xiao Liu had tossed out so carelessly, trying to embarrass Shi Qi, had backfired spectacularly. Shi Qi knew it—and so did Xiao Liu.

A wolf in sheep's clothing.

The thought crossed Xiao Liu's mind, and Shi Qi could see it in the way Xiao Liu's face shifted from mischief to surprise, to embarrassment. It was a rare sight, seeing Xiao Liu blush so deeply, and for a brief moment, Shi Qi almost felt bad for him. Almost.

Xiao Liu quickly turned away, muttering something about Chuan Zi, but Shi Qi's smile lingered, hidden beneath his composed exterior. He knew Xiao Liu's teasing came from a place of playfulness, but there was more to it. Perhaps Xiao Liu hadn't even realized it yet, but there was a spark between them—an attraction that, even if unspoken, simmered beneath the surface of their interactions.

Shi Qi watched as Xiao Liu stomped off to scold Chuan Zi, his back tense with frustration. He allowed himself a small, private smile. Xiao Liu had always been one to push boundaries, to provoke and tease, but tonight, the tables had turned.

He didn't chase after Xiao Liu. Instead, he remained in the shadows, his gaze now lifted from the ground, following the retreating figure. He couldn't help but think about how Xiao Liu's boldness had brought them closer in a way neither of them expected. Xiao Liu was playful, even reckless, but Shi Qi could sense the tenderness beneath it all, a vulnerability that he himself shared.

For now, Shi Qi would keep that to himself. He knew how to bide his time. He knew Xiao Liu wasn't ready to confront whatever this thing was between them, but Shi Qi was patient. He could wait.

There was a strange comfort in the knowledge that Xiao Liu saw him, really saw him, for who he was—and didn't shy away from it. Maybe, just maybe, in their game of teasing and taunting, something real had started to form.