Chapter 28

"In a world full of grandeur, it's the little moments, like dancing with stars, that make the night truly shine." - Jasmine L. Kingsley

As Luna turned to the other children, she ran toward them with newfound energy, her earlier shyness evaporating

As Luna turned to the other children, she ran toward them with newfound energy, her earlier shyness evaporating. "The prince said we're going to a ball!" she shouted, her voice full of excitement.

Every child in the room froze, their eyes wide with disbelief. Alex, now standing beside me, gave me a nod. I grinned and mimicked playing a trumpet, drawing everyone's attention. "We would like to invite you to tonight's ball. It's your ball, after all, so you should be there!"

The room erupted with cheers. The little girls squealed, bouncing on their toes, while the boys looked just as thrilled, albeit trying to play it cool. Luna came rushing back to me, throwing her arms around me in a tight hug. I felt a small tear slip down my cheek, which Alex gently wiped away, his touch warm and comforting.

He turned to the children with a smile. "We only have four hours to get ready. I've arranged a bus to take us to the palace and then to the event. So, everyone, go to your rooms, choose something special to give to the queen, and meet us back here."

With that, the kids scattered like excited confetti. Charles and Gabrielle, the orphanage owners, approached us with gratitude written all over their faces. Alex invited them to the ball as well, and they left just as eagerly as the children.

"I have an idea," I said, turning to Alex. "Carmen's in London. Maybe she could help the kids get ready for the event. I can cover the costs for the clothing and everything."

Alex looked at me, clearly impressed. "That's a brilliant idea. But I'll pay."

I crossed my arms, not backing down. "It was my idea, so I'll pay."

"And as my princess, I'll help you pay," he teased, flashing me a grin.

Ignoring him, I quickly video-called Carmen, filling her in on the plan. A part of me worried she and her twin daughters might be too busy to help, but Carmen's face lit up with enthusiasm.

"You know I'd do anything for children," she said.

"Hi Aunty Nia!" Sofia and Valentina's voices chimed in, their faces popping into the screen.

"Hello, my babies," I cooed.

"So, I'll meet you at the palace?" Carmen asked, already planning ahead.

"Yes, and just so you know, I'm paying for everything," I insisted.

"She's not. I am," Alex said from beside me, earning a stink eye from me.

Carmen rolled her eyes, amused. "Funny. Who asked you for your money?" She smirked before ending the call.

I turned to Alex, mock-frowning. "Look at what you did!"