Chapter 2

|| [ Master Strategy, Tactician,  Diplomatic] ||
— A kingdom of Shadows and Fire —

      "Everything will be fine," she assured them, her voice firm despite the tremor in her hands.  The others, sensing her fatigue, nodded in understanding.  A wave of relief washed over them, and soon, the tension that had gripped the room dissipated.  Laughter and chatter filled the space as they exchanged greetings and updates, sharing stories of their lives and the events that had transpired in their absence.

Velaska, however, couldn't shake the exhaustion that clung to her like a heavy cloak.  Hours of riding Vyrames, her magnificent dragon, had taken their toll.  The journey, though exhilarating, had been taxing, and the familiar comforts of her chamber beckoned.

"I'll be retiring to my chambers," she announced, her voice a touch weary.  "The flight was long, and I need some rest."  She offered a small smile, her eyes flickering towards the others, who readily agreed, their concern evident in their expressions.

With a final nod and a wave, Velaska excused herself, her footsteps echoing softly as she made her way towards the grand staircase, her mind filled with the images of the journey and the anticipation of the rest that awaited her.

Zyran, watching his sister as she excused herself, couldn't help but feel a twinge of worry. He noticed the weariness that seemed to cling to her, the fatigue in her eyes, the subtle tremble in her hands. He knew how exhausted she must be after hours of riding Vyrames, and the familiar comforts of home were undoubtedly beckoning.

"Rest well," Zyran called after her, his voice laced with concern. "You look tired. Take care of yourself, okay?"

Zyran reciprocated the embrace, holding her tightly against him. The scent of wildflowers and dragonfire that clung to her, a combination that was uniquely hers, a reminder of the sister he knew and loved. He closed his eyes, relishing the closeness of the moment, the warmth of her presence, the love that bound them together.

"I missed you," he murmured, his voice a low, intimate whisper. "More than words can say."

"I missed you too," she whispered, her voice muffled against his chest.  The words, though simple, carried a weight that made his heart ache with tenderness.  He held her tighter, savoring the warmth of her presence, the feeling of her against him.

"Not a single day I didn't think of you," she continued, her voice laced with a hint of melancholy.  He knew it was true.  They were inseparable, two halves of a whole, and the distance had only amplified their connection.  He closed his eyes, inhaling deeply, wanting to imprint this moment, this feeling of her in his arms, into his very soul.

Zyran's heart clenched at her words, the pang of melancholy in her voice. He knew that the separation had been hard on her, as it had been on him. They were each other's rock, their presence an anchor in each other's lives.

"Me neither," he replied, his voice a gentle caress against her hair. "You were constantly on my mind, in my thoughts. Every decision I made, every worry I carried, you were a part of it, a part of me."

Velaska pulled back slightly, her eyes meeting his, a soft smile gracing her lips.

"I know," she murmured, her voice still tinged with that hint of melancholy.  "It's like a part of me was missing when you are far.  But I knew what I had to do, and that made it easier to bear."

She reached up, her fingers tracing the lines of his face, her touch a silent reassurance.  "You were in my thoughts too, Zyran.  Every time I looked up at the sky, I imagined you soaring through the clouds, with your dragon catching the sunlight.  I knew you were strong, that you could handle anything, but I still worried."  She sighed, a small tremor running through her.  "It's good to be back."