33

Production for the movie was soon to start, but before that could commence, Carmen had to wrap up her commitments with the press tour for her last film.

The excitement in the air was palpable as our family prepared for a significant event: Lily had been nominated for Best Actress, and we were all determined to support her at the awards show.

The night was a blend of glamour and emotion as I walked the red carpet alongside Mum, Dad, and Lily, the flash of cameras capturing our smiles. As we descended the carpet, an interviewer approached us, praising our family and highlighting Lily's incredible achievements.

Turning to me, she asked, "Jack, is it true you're starring alongside Carmen Ortiz in an upcoming movie?"

"Yes," I answered, feeling excitement and pressure at the thought of it.

With a glint of intrigue in her eye, she pressed on, "You two are only costars?"

I chuckled at the simplicity of her question, responding, "What else would we be? Other than costars and friends."

Our conversation was cut short as we entered the awards venue and found our seats, anticipation coursing through my veins. The atmosphere was electric, but when the moment came, Lily lost to Carmen, and I could see the disappointment flickering on her face. My heart sank for her; she had poured her soul into that role.

Nevertheless, I couldn't let that overshadow the moment. Rushing backstage to congratulate Carmen, who stood radiantly with her award in hand, I said, "Hey, congratulations!"

She beamed at me, her eyes sparkling joyfully, "Jack, hey! Thank you!"

There was a hint of sympathy between us as I confessed, "It was hard back there...watching you beat my sister."

With a raised brow, she replied, "Really?"

I couldn't contain my laughter any longer and said, "No," eliciting laughter to fall from her lips.

After the awards show, the four of us piled into the car, the air thick with a mixed sense of disappointment and joy as we drove back to Lily's house. Despite her loss, we were determined to celebrate her nomination, acknowledging the hard work and talent that had brought her this far.

Shortly after we'd arrived back at Lily's phone, I glanced down at my phone and noticed a text from Carmen asking to meet up at my place in ten minutes.

I quickly typed back, "Give me 30 minutes," hoping to sneak out without drawing too much attention.

As we chatted, I watched Mum and Dad lavish praise on Lily, commending her best efforts and encouraging her to strive for greatness. It was heartwarming, but I felt a nagging itch of impatience in my chest. My mind wandered, and before I knew it, I said, "I'm going to head back."

"You just got here," Mum replied, a hint of confusion in her voice. "What do you have to go do?"

My voice had a slight tremor as I lied, "I'm not feeling good. I think I ate something weird at that event." My excuse was weak even to my ears.

Suddenly, Lily piped up from behind Mum, her voice loud and unapologetic, "Bullshit!" I shot her a warning glance, but it was too late.

"Lily!" Mum gasped, clearly taken aback by her outburst.

"He's going to see Carmen," Lily bluntly told Mum, and I could see the realization dawning on her face.

"You are?" she asked, her brows furrowed. I couldn't help but grimace, unable to hide my regret. "Jack, that's rude. Stay with us and see Carmen another time," Mum insisted, her tone firm but affectionate.