Chapter Ten

The medical droid moved around Meike's bed, analyzing her breathing. The woman was pressed against the bed, tucked under a thin white blanket. Her eyes were closed, but she was awake. She could feel the spot where the blaster hit her and gritted her teeth, remembering the pain in her lungs. Her eyelids weren't moving, and her daughter assumed she was asleep. Her presence was soothing, and Varya's shadow covered Meike's body after the droid finished. A chair was pulled to the side of the uncomfortable bed, and Varya sat on it, extending her right arm to her mother's left one. The fingers twitched, and Varya grinned slightly, knowing her mother was alright.

Meike opened her eyes slowly, the bright light above their heads blinding her. It was the first time she had seen light since she passed out due to blood loss. First, she noticed the brown hair of her daughter and then her round face staring back at her. Beside her, a tall figure was standing, not moving at all. Meike acknowledged Anakin's Force presence but quickly ignored it. She focused on seeing Varya better.

Their fingers grazed, and Meike was glad she was there. She wanted to hold them tighter, but she had no strength, and the smallest movement almost hurt.

Finally, her pupils adjusted to the light, and she managed to see Varya clearly. She was wearing a formal dress, probably just came from a Senate meeting. Her features were relaxed, and Meike understood it was because she was alive. She hated the impulsive decision she made to come to Coruscant. It was a dumb one.

In reality, she didn't have a reason. She missed her daughter but would never admit it out loud. She boarded a ship and came to her. Meike didn't consider that her life might be in danger, and now, as her mind settled, she realized it was because someone hated Varya.

The attempt on her daughter was painful. Her heart skipped a beat when she found out. She could imagine how Varya felt at that moment.

Her eyes scanned the room, stopping on Anakin Skywalker, her daughter's new bodyguard. Meike didn't like the fact that her daughter was protected by a Jedi, but she didn't have a say in it. The Chancellor made his decision, and if she wanted to be on good terms with him, she had to stay quiet.

He didn't say anything as Varya and Meike discussed in hushed tones what happened and their theories about why it happened. Anakin agreed with Meike but didn't verbalize it. Someone, possibly the Banking Clan, resented her and saw her as a threat. As a senator who started to rise to power and use the benefits of her planet, Varya was in danger. She was wise to intervene but ignored the consequences.

He waited for Varya to finish outside the room. Anakin was in the middle of the conversation. He felt like they would eventually talk about more sensitive things, and he didn't want to be an intruder.

The ceiling of the corridor was grey and red, and medical droids were roaming the building. Anakin followed them with his eyes, wary of his surroundings. He wanted to be sure Varya and Meike were safe. It was his mission, after all. Failing wasn't an option.

Obi-Wan was on a mission, and Ahsoka was with the 501st. Anakin promised Varya she would meet his padawan and intended on keeping it. Ahsoka was still young for complicated missions, but she could handle a few younglings for a while. The boys were more restless. Anakin missed the heat of battle but craved peace at the same time. He often questioned Ahsoka's future. How would she adapt to a galaxy that was not fighting a war? The Togruta would manage, but unlike her master, she was born a soldier.

He sighed, his muscles easing from the tension he was holding in his body. The door behind him opened with a swift movement, and he saw Varya's purple dress.

"We can go," she said and waited for him to follow her.

Anakin's fingers brushed the lightsaber at his belt, and his steps fell in rhythm with hers.