Chapter 18 - Façade

July 4, 2009

Dylan

A week had passed since Dylan came out to his parents, and the atmosphere between the three of them had grown more accepting and loving. All the worries Dylan had before revealing his authentic self to his parents melted away when he finally told them the truth. Everything was just wonderful...well...until yesterday.

Ella had found an invitation for the Back to School Bash tucked away in Dylan's backpack. She waved it in front of him, her eyes wide with curiosity. "What's this? Are you going?" she asked, her voice tinged with excitement. When Dylan casually mentioned that he wasn't planning to attend, her expression shifted to one of bewilderment. "Why wouldn't you go, young man?" she demanded, her foot tapping impatiently on the old wooden floor.

Dylan hesitated, feeling a lump form in his throat. "Well, I really have no reason to go, Mom," he mumbled, trying to avoid her piercing gaze.

"My love, that's nonsense. You need to go." His mother's voice was firm yet carried a hint of encouragement.

"But Mom, I have no one to hang out with and I also have nothing to wear," Dylan quipped, hoping to deter her. He fiddled with the hem of his shirt, a nervous habit he couldn't quite remove.

Ella sighed, her expression softening. "Dylan, I know things have been tough, but this is a chance to start fresh. You've already taken such a brave step by coming out to us. Don't you think you deserve to enjoy yourself and maybe make some new friends?" She reached out, placing a tender hand on her son's shoulder. "You're an amazing person, Dylan. Anyone would be lucky to have you as a friend. And as for something to wear, we can figure that out together. How about we go shopping this weekend?"

****

"What was the theme of that dance again, my love?" Ella asked, her eyes scanning through racks of thrifted button-down shirts. She didn't seem to notice Dylan's reluctance, focused entirely on finding the perfect outfit for him.

Dylan sighed, rubbing his eyes. "I think it's a masquerade, Mom."

Ella bit her bottom lip in concentration, her fingers deftly flipping through shirts priced just over ₱100.00. "Well then, you need to look mysterious and handsome."

Dylan's shoulders slumped as he watched his mother's determined search. "Or maybe, we can just buy food at a fast-food place outside and forget about going to the dance," he suggested, his voice shaded with hope. He glanced at her expectantly, wishing for a reprieve.

"No," she said simply before resuming her careful examination of the clothes, checking each item for weird stains or rips.

"But Mom..." Dylan whined, his voice carrying a note of desperation as he pouted, his lips forming a soft curve of protest

"You're going, and that's final. Now, please stop moping and help me pick out something for you to wear," Ella said, pulling out a pastel green dress shirt. It looked gently worn but still wearable and new. She checked the brand name inside. "Oh, look, it's a vintage Regent & Co. It says it used to be ₱5,000.00 and now it's ₱150.00."

Dylan's eyes widened. Regent & Co. was one of the most expensive brands in the Philippines. He had heard that most items sold there were well beyond thousands of pesos. He had seen EJ wearing clothes from there a few times.

"We'll take it," his mother said decisively. "Now, let's find you some slacks."

Dylan's shoulders slumped further. He really did not want to go, but as the day wore on and the clock ticked closer to seven in the evening, it was becoming clear that he was indeed going—much to his reluctance. They scoured the place for more than fifteen minutes before finding pants that looked decent. By that point, Dylan was tired and increasingly anxious.