Chapter 26 - The Photo

June 25, 2010

Dylan

It was a gloomy day.

The sun was nowhere to be seen, and the sky was a dark, oppressive gray that made everything seem so...lonely. Kindergarteners played outside, splashing in puddles that had formed on the uneven pavement, blissfully oblivious to their teachers' attempts to herd them back inside their classrooms.

When Dylan walked into the high school wing, he immediately felt the heat of everyone's stares. He could feel their eyes boring into him, wondering if he had something on his face or if he looked ridiculous as he walked through the entrance in his way too big rain jacket. Some boys whispered among themselves as he passed, but he chose to ignore them, dismissing them as mere gossip mongers.

He turned right and saw Lorraine standing in front of him, clutching a crumpled paper in her hands. Her expression was one of stunned disbelief, as if she didn't know how to react upon seeing him. Unable to meet his gaze, she quickly turned and walked toward the St. Agnes building for female students.

Scratching the back of his head, Dylan continued down the hall. Photocopied papers were haphazardly taped to the walls, but he barely noticed what they were about. All he wanted was to get to his classroom and sit quietly until the day ended. As he approached his classroom door, he saw another photocopied paper attached to it.

He took a closer look, and the realization hit him like a punch to the gut. Those papers, the one Lorraine had clutched in her hands, were not random. They were meant to destroy him and EJ...especially EJ.

His hands trembled uncontrollably as he pulled the paper down and examined it. It was the same photo that had been posted on the SMCS Secret Page, but this time it was clear that it was him and EJ holding hands inside the mall, their faces perfectly captured as they looked at each other lovingly.

Dylan's throat constricted, making it hard to breathe.

"That's you? Damn..."

He turned and saw Marlon, one of his classmates. Dylan wanted to speak but couldn't; the words were stuck in his throat.

He needed to find EJ immediately. He excused himself, ignoring Marlon calling out to him. He needed to check EJ's classroom next door, but when he arrived, most of EJ's classmates were staring at him, holding copies of the same paper.

Dylan went downstairs, searching frantically. EJ wasn't in their usual meeting spot, and he wasn't in the library either. Dylan slumped onto one of the benches. It was almost seven in the morning, and classes were about to start.

Tears began to sting the corners of his eyes.

This wasn't supposed to happen...

A warm hand gently pressed onto his shoulder. He looked up, hoping it was EJ, but his heart sank when he saw Theodore instead.

"Dylan..." Theodore trailed off, struggling to find the right words.

"Have—have you seen EJ?"

Theodore took a deep breath before speaking. "Yeah, I saw him."

"Can you tell me where he is? There's a big problem. Our picture was posted everywhere in school, and—"

"Dylan," Theodore cut in, "EJ knows already. He was the first to see it when he got to school. We tried everything to remove the photocopies, but it was too late. Some teachers have already informed the administration, and...they're not happy."