What Are You Doing?

Author's Note: Thanks for being patient with uploading. Don't worry about the romance things will get amped up soon!
-------------------------------------------------------------

Hermione's pov.

I numbly stand up, cross the hall to my new compartment, and sit down. Malfoy. Draco Malfoy. The name itself makes me siver. I'm clueless as to what to do next. After the war his father had been sent to Azkaban, and they lost almost everything. I knew they were broken, especially Draco himself but until I heard otherwise I wasn't sure what my opinion on him was.

Carefully, I quickly snuck a look at him. It was the first time I had seen him up close in ages, and I was shocked to find how different he looked.

Dark grey bags hung under his eyes. His face was gaunt and worried. His whole body had a shrunken, abused appearance to it. He looked horrible. I opened my mouth to speak to him but I had no idea what to say. I simply closed my mouth and looked out the window. Conversation would come later, when we were alone.

"Draco?" I said, as I tentivally shook his arm. "We've arrived." His eyes flew open with a start. "Don't touch me!" He yelled at me! "What!" I exclaimed. "I was just trying to wake you. We've arrived in any case." He stared at me for a moment, his expression clouded momentarily with confusion then anger. "I figured that much out myself." His voice now carried a cold hardness in it, and he glared fiercely at me. "Fine then." I said, returning his glare. "I'll see you on the platform." I then grabbed my luggage and stalked out of the compartment.

Draco's pov.

I watched as Hermione's bushy brown hair retreated out the door. I hadn't ment to snap at her. Anger was just a second nature now a days. I subconsciously rubbed the spot on my shoulder where she had touched me. Immediately after heat had spread through my arm, and sent a tingling wave rippling down my back. What suprised me most was that the sensation wasn't horrible like when my parents touched me. It had been pleasent. I groaned to myself. I had no idea what it meant. I had never felt this way before, no one had ever made me feel like that. Not my parents, Snape, any death eaters. Not even Pansy, or any other girl I knew could make me feel that in a single touch. But I knew that I wanted that feeling again.

I sighed to myself. Now was not the time to sort this out, I had to focus. This year I wanted no trouble. I was here at Hogworts to finish my studies and possibly have a bit of "fun". The latter, however, made me nervous. Despite my intentions I still had a desire to see Hermione. Still confused as to what this ment I exited the train to find McGonagall and Hermione.

"There you are Draco, come along I must not be late for the sorting ceramony, now if you'll follow me...? McGonagall's words carried off as started to walk purposely towards the castle.

Looking sidways at Hermione I gave my best attempt at a shrug with at half hearted smile. Confusion spred across her face, quickly replaced by anger. With a last glare sent in my direction, she quickly walked ahead of me and didn't look back.

I puffed out my cheeks and sighed once more. I figured that I could try again later. It didn't matter if she fell for me or not. But at the moment, I couldn't handle another person hating me. And anyways, it would be fun to have a challenge this year. Especially one as hard as Hermione. Looking up the road I saw McGonagall and Hermione talking and waiting for me. Grabbing my luggage, I ran to meet them. Not wanting to miss the feast of course.

When I reached them we all began to hike up the hill towards Hogworts in silence. Seeing the old place sent bittersweet memories sailing through my head. I'm sure I wasn't the only person with this issue. Many others probably had it much worse than me. Especially Potter and his pathetic little possy. Even his name put me in a bad place, one filled to the brim with smug annoyance and pride on both of our parts. Despite this it was still nice to be back, where it all began.

As soon as we reached the entrence to the great hall McGonagall began to speak again. "Meet me back here immediately after the feast and I will personally escort you both to the dormitories. For now the sorting ceremony is about to begin and I must go supervise that. Please find your seats at the proper tables." She then turned and left us alone at the entrance.

I looked at Hermione and cleared my throat. "Yes?" She replied annoyance clouding her features. "Um...Well...Sooo I'm going to go now...?" My voice quickly trailed off as I looked at her. The annoyance left her face and was replaced with confusion. "Right...Well goodbye Malfoy." She then turned and left as well. Stupid! I thought to myself. I was losing all my confidence to the point where i was stuttering. Shaking my head I stalked off, mumbling under my breath.