Chapter 9

*A week later*

"I want to take a quest! It's fine even if it's a bit hard; let's take a quest!"

"Huh..."

Megumin and I expressed our displeasure when we heard Aqua say that.

"I'm fine with it... But I alone won't have enough combat power, and Megumin..."

"Please, I beg you! I don't want to work anymore! The store owner gets mad if I don't sell all the croquettes! I'll work hard! I'll do my best this time!"

Megumin and I looked at each other.

"All right then... Look and see if there are any quests that seem doable. We'll go with you if the quest isn't too bad."

"Kazuma, shouldn't you look too? If you leave it to Aqua, she'll probably pick an impossible quest..."

"You're correct, but I won't mind even if the quest is a bit hard..."

Finally, she tore a paper from the board.

"Good."

"Good? What quest are you taking?!"

I snatched the client request.

'–Hunting the Manticore and Griffon–The Manticore and Griffon are fighting for territory. It is dangerous to leave them alone, please hunt them both. Bounty is 500,000 eris.'

"You idiot!"

As I was thinking it over, Aqua tugged my sleeve excitedly.

"This one! Look at this one!"

'–Lake Purification–The lake, which is one of the water sources for the town, has been polluted; brutal alligators have moved into the lake. We request someone to purify the lake. The monsters in the lake will leave after purification, so there is no need to fight these monsters. *Requirement: Priest with purification magic. Reward is 300,000 eris.'

"... Can you purify the lake?"

"Idiot, who do you think I am? From my name and appearance, you should be able to tell what kind of goddess I am, right?"

"Aren't you the goddess of banquets?"

"As if, you hikiNEET! I'm the Goddess of Water, all right! Didn't you see my beautiful blue eyes and hair?"

I see.

Not needing to fight meant it was worth it.

"Let's take this one. Or rather, wouldn't you alone suffice if it's just purifying the water? You can hog all the rewards this way, right?"

"Well... The monsters will harass me while I'm purifying the water, right? Before I finish the purification, I hope you all can protect me from the monsters."

"By the way, how long would the purification take? Five minutes or so?"

"... About half a day?"

"That's too long!"

——
——

"Ahhh! Please, I beg of you–! There's no other quest that's as good! Please help me, Kazuma-san–!"

"... Hey, how does the purification process work?"

"... Hmm? To purify the water, I just need to touch it with my hand and continuously cast purification magic..."

"Hey Aqua, I think there's a way to purify the water safely. Do you want to give it a try?"

——
——

Duke Erisia took note of the monsters he encountered that were from his world.

There were a lot.

Simply put, most monsters in the closest zone to the town were pretty common to find in Luminant.