C H A P T E R 1 9

Julz's hands held the frame of the front door open, bags slung over his shoulder

Julz's hands held the frame of the front door open, bags slung over his shoulder. He could see the hesitation resting in the creases of Tessa's face. Cradled tightly in her arms, Jovi lay bundled in her pink blanket, binky slightly moving with each suckle. She drifted near the door taking in the smell of the mahogany fragrance, but never stepping. Pausing, and peering up to him asking if her entering this space was safe. Not physically safe, she knew that Julz would always protect her. Tessa was looking for a different type of protection, her heart. A part of her knew she should have never answered the door or allowed him to dominate her in his house. Feelings still lingered in her, maybe not for him but Tessa couldn't turn her love for him on and off. It made her sick.

"Tessa, it's cold as fuck out here. We can have a staring match in the crib."

Her eyes rolled at his words. Tessa pushed past him entered the house, and scanned it with a sharp eye. A hallow pain rippled her stomach, for her Julz had always been home. Tessa had always felt comfortable but now everything had changed. This wasn't her home; nothing here had a dash of her personality. Tessa couldn't smell her signature vanilla candle, no heels lingering by the front door. This shit with them, wasn't a phase. Tessa was no fool. She had lost him. Her hands went to Jovi's blanket, then to her hat, she was fidgeting all over the place buying her time to divert their eye contact. A lone tear drop slid down her face, her hand swiped away quickly. She didn't want Julz to know he still affected her, she wanted to be free of his subconscious control. Just the thought alone made her lip quiver Tessa took a deep breath and a strained smile oppressed her lips when he closed the door and looked at her.

"Okay, we here now Julz.," she said with a bland look. "Can you tell me what the fuck is going on!" Julz's head flew back with a groan, and his jaw squared. She scoffed at his audacity; Tessa didn't ask to be here. A part of her felt remorseful for being here. "Don't look at me like that, nigga. I don't want nor need to be here—"

"Check yo tone, and that fuckin' smart ass mouth at the mu'fuckin' door. I got a lot of shit going on right now Tessa, yo mouth that shit ain't helping. Just... Just know I need y'all safe, trust me on that."

"But why Julz, I got a right to fucking knows", she shouted. "You talking in code and shit just be upfront. Me not knowing shit is not going to protect me and my fucking daughter!"

Julz took long strides till he was pressed against her body, nose flaring as he dropped his eyes to her. She wanted to step back but she wasn't about to let him control this situation. Tessa pushed her chest up a little, squaring away her stance.

"You may scare them niggas in the street, but nigga I know you. So—"

"Tessa, I don't ever ask you for shit, but right now. All I want you to do is pick a fuckin' room and sit. Find a fucking room and just sit the fuck down, aight'? Can you sit still for a moment so I can get shit straight? I get you don't want to be around me," he paused, lowering his voice seeing Jovi shift in her arms. "You don't want to be around me, cool. Shit, I ain't fuckin' with you either but just trust me when I say I'm doing everything in my power to keep you protected, to keep baby girl protected. This shit is bigger than me and you right now."