firstkill (monsters)

Monster

Monsters are supernatural beings of differing species, traits, and origins. The term is broadly used to describe anything inhuman. These creatures have extraordinary powers, abilities, and appearances. They commonly prey on humans.

Types of Monsters

Ghouls

Ghouls are the reanimated corpses of a dead human. They typically reside in cemeteries as they disturb graves, exhume bodies, and leave behind human-looking teeth marks. They appear as reanimated, usually deteriorating, corpses that are nearly skeletons. They and dirty from their diggings. They can be easily killed with a blade via decapitation or head impalement. (Photo: Louie Kurtzman playing a cemetery ghoul)

Shamblers

Shambler have four glowing eyes and four external mandibles. They have superhuman strength and are slightly taller than the average human.

VampiresMain article: VampireLegacy vampireVampires are immortal monsters who require the blood of humans to survive. Lilith, the first vampire, was created by the Emerald Malkia in the Garden of Eden. Her descendants are born vampires and referred to as Legacies. In modern times, made vampires are hunted by Monster Hunters and easily detected by their inability to walk in the sun, see their reflection, and more defining characteristics. They are impervious to aging and hard to detect due to their human appearance and atypical movements, often blending with society unlike their other monster counterparts.WitchesMain article: WitchA witch draws power from the world around them to fuel spells and rituals. They frequently are members of covens. Carmen, the witch lover of Oliver, is a member of the Daedra coven. She used magic to link herself and Oliver together so she can sense when he's in danger. She also turned Ashley Stanton (actress Sarah Stipe) into a zombie.Zombies

A zombie is a reanimated, yet mutilated corpse, of a dead human. Their bodies are spelled back to life by a witch. They are extremely fast, have super human strength, can communicate, and retain memories from their prior life. They have an insatiable hunger for human flesh. Their eyes appear as glowing orbs on video or photographs. Ashley Stanton was killed at a party, though she was brought back as a zombie by the witch Carmen. She trapped everyone in Lancaster Academy and ripped out the spine of her victim before Cal and Juliette caught her. Cal killed her though her body didn't fade to dust until hours later.

Additional MonstersWraithsKitsune, a demon that can take the form of anything it killsElementalDemon

Societal Acceptance

Guardians Guild

The Guild's main mission is to eradicate any monsters they encounter. They send members on missions to different areas to find and dispose of them, and it doesn't seem like they often care why they were there in the first place (unless that means stopping more monsters from showing up).

The Guild has a hierarchy and reward number of, and difficulties of, killing monsters, further pushing its members to see them as mere obstacles or challenges rather than something with humanity or someone that can be 'saved'.

Some members were born into families and always knew about monsters, or they had family members killed while on the job, so they are shaped further by that same ideology.

Savannah

Around 25 years ago (counting from season 1), the town was infested with monsters. The people knew that something was very wrong, but it's not clear if they knew exactly what kind of monsters there were or why they were there. The humans lived in fear. In episode 7, Bunny talks about how it was:

"You weren't here the last time they took over. Schools, churches, everything was closed. We lived behind locked doors, because if we went out we could get taken right off the streets. Brutalized, eaten alive."

Another person mentioning it is city morgue attendant Malcom in episode 2, who says he thinks 'its happening again', like it was 25 years ago when he started working.

For some of those now grown up or old enough to remember how it was during that time, they are the first to suspect that monsters are back. They start a group called M.A.A.M (Mothers against all monsters) and protest against the lack of action from the police and government, eventuallly trying to take things into their own hands.

The only known non-guild human to accept a vampire is Benjamin Wheeler, and that's only because he was unknowingly best friends with one his whole life and even the it took some convincing.

Notes and Trivia

Most monsters can be summoned to a specific location regardless of its warding if the location has an unprotected Summoner on the property.

Gallery