Ch6: Wifey Material

Initially, I'd wanted to visit this city in a less brazen manner but believe it or not, it was Demiurge who rightfully pointed out that my outfit would naturally draw all eyes regardless of whether I arrived in an opulent manner or by tagging along in the back of some unsuspecting farmer's cart. Albedo further spoke about the need to not lower myself for some human king and though I don't quite share their toxicity towards humans I can't find any valid arguments against them since I'd already greeted the King's trusted sword with my "opulence" on full display.

Perhaps that's why I agreed to let them handle the preparations but this...isn't it a bit much?

Guards: Open the gates!

As the carriage passes by, many onlookers try to get a glimpse of who might be entering the city but between the deathknights escorting us and the city guards, no one manages to come close enough to do so. Still, the very thought that I might be seen like this is enough to cause me much despair. Isn't this embarrassing? What if my friends were stuck in this world too and were to see me like this? What would they think?

Albedo: Lord...ehem, darling?

Looking up, I find Albedo moving to join me on my side of the carriage. She scoots as close to me as possible, her breasts pressing against my arm as she leans closer. I know I said she was to play the role of my wife but...

Me: Albedo-

Albedo: Yes, my love?

Me: There is no one here so there is no need to act so...direct.

Albedo: Who said I was acting?

I'm thankfully spared the need to answer that by our arrival. Even from a quick glance at the outside, I've already spotted Sebas and Solution awaiting my arrival. No doubt others from the city are going to watch this exchange as well.

From what Sebas was able to provide me prior to my arrival, it seems they've established Solution as the daughter of some distant aristocrat but haven't specified who her parents are or what family she is from. I suppose the best thing to do here would be to play along those lines to keep appearances.

Me: Albedo, what do you think about having a child?

The inside of the carriage suddenly goes intensely hot. The sudden shift in temperature is so severe that the wood of the carriage cracks.

Albedo: Lord Ainz...wants to make a baby...with me?

Her eyes go out of focus as her lips curl into a maniacal smile. She's delirious and getting ready to pounce at any moment.

Me: That...is not what I was referring to.

Can she even hear me?

Me: Albedo, focus!

She snaps out of it, taking a moment to reorient herself before sincerely apologising. I brush her apology aside.

Me: Back to what I was saying, we'll continue this charade by having Solution pose as our daughter. The persona she and Sebas have fabricated should play to this quite nicely, wouldn't you say?

Albedo: Solution? If that is your wish...however, might I make a request?

Me: What is it?

Albedo: C-can I also play the role of your wife...completely?

Me: That is the whole point of all this, is it not?

She hardly waits for me to finish before rising to her feet, her face giddy with excitement as she opens the door where Sebas waits to help her descend.

Sebas: My Lady...

Albedo: Sebas, where is my-

I watch from within the carriage as Albedo pulls out all the stops and delivers the most over-the-top display of motherly love towards a "daughter" I've ever seen. Solution, despite her initial shock given she had no idea this was what we decided, is remarkably quick to adapt but Sebas? Sebas is in utter shock. Worst of all, however, is Shalltear who stops at the door the moment she sees me exit the carriage.

Shalltear: L-l-lord Ainz?

Albedo: Oh, excellent timing Shalltear. 

I watch as Albedo comes back to my side, throwing her arms around me. Sensing a potential fight, I put up a barrier, prepared to completely isolate the mansion and its grounds from the rest of the city should it become necessary but don't immediately activate it so that we can continue being observed by any hidden guests. I'm sure the King will want to learn all he can about me before our meeting, after all.

Shalltear: Get your filthy hands off Lord Ainz-

Albedo: Oh? Haven't you heard?

She grins, and I must say I am quite intrigued to see where this will lead. It's the most exciting thing to have happened to date. I wonder...no, I'll play along for now.

Shalltear: What are you talking about?

Albedo: Lord Ainz and I...we're married.

All: WHAT?

Albedo: I am Lord Ainz' wife.

All: WHHHAAAAAATTT?

Albedo: My heart, body and soul all belong to him. Isn't that right, darling?

She turns to me, her eyes silently pleading for me to play along. I am surprised by her boldness but given I'd planned on doing so from the start.

Me: That's right...baby.

She almost breaks character, her body tensing even as she fights the will to take things further but she ultimately passes on the opportunity in favour of rubbing it deeper into Shalltear's face. I guess now I know the depths of their rivalry.

Albedo: Hear that Shalltear? Lord Ainz is all mine.