CHAPTER 3 Unexpected Encounter

I could hear Alex’s car horn honking from inside my house. “Just two more minutes!” I yelled, still scrambling to get ready. I knew I was pushing it, but mornings were never my strong suit.

When I finally made it outside, Alex was waiting with a look of mild annoyance on his face. “You know, I could have left without you,” he teased, but there was a smile in his eyes.

“Yeah, yeah, I know. Let’s just go before we’re late,” I replied, sliding into the passenger seat. We headed to college, chatting and laughing about nothing in particular. It felt good to unwind before the day’s classes.

As we pulled into the college parking lot, I saw a group of students tossing a football around. One of them, a handsome guy with an easy grin, wound up for a throw. Suddenly, the ball veered off course and hit me right on the side.

“Ow!” I yelped, rubbing my arm where the ball had made contact. Alex’s head snapped toward me, his face instantly shifting to concern.

“What the hell?” he muttered, getting out of the car and marching over to the group. I followed, trying to defuse the situation before it escalated.

“Hey, watch where you’re throwing that thing!” Alex barked at the guy who had thrown the ball.

The guy, looking more amused than apologetic, shot back, “Didn’t mean to hit her. Chill out.”

“That’s no excuse,” Alex growled. “Apologize.”

Before I could step in, the argument heated up quickly. “Just stop!” I shouted, but the words were lost in the scuffle. Alex and the guy were now engaged in a brief but intense fight, both of them trading blows.

“Alex, stop it!” I shouted again, this time managing to push between them. “This isn’t worth it.”

Alex and the guy paused, their breathing heavy. “Fine,” Alex said through gritted teeth, backing away. The guy, rubbing his shoulder, muttered an apology and walked off with his friends.

I turned to Alex, trying to keep my frustration in check. “Seriously, Alex? You had to start a fight?”

He sighed, looking sheepish. “I just didn’t want anyone to think they could mess with you.”

“Well, thanks, but next time maybe let’s just let it go,” I said, taking a deep breath. “We’ve got classes to get to.”

When we finally made it to Mr. Luke’s class, I headed to my usual seat only to find a new guy already sitting there. He was strikingly handsome—his hair, eyes, and physique were all pretty much perfect. I couldn’t help but stare for a moment.

Seeing my confusion, he looked up and said, “Sorry about that. Didn’t mean to take your spot. I’m Steve.”

He extended his hand, and I shook it, feeling a bit flustered. “I’m Jamie. Nice to meet you.”

We both took our seats, and I found myself glancing over at him more than once. He had an effortless charm that made it hard to look away. But I reminded myself of our promise—Alex and I had agreed not to date anyone, especially not each other. I couldn’t risk making things awkward with him, so I kept my feelings to myself.

The rest of the class went by in a blur as I tried to focus, but Steve’s presence lingered in my thoughts. At least for today, I had to keep my promise and not let my feelings get in the way.

---