Chapter 9: Cookies and Concerns.

(Maya's Pov)

The next morning, as usual, I was helping Olivia get ready for school. She seemed a bit more cheerful today, which was a relief.

"Did you sleep well?" I asked as I brushed her hair.

"Yeah, I did," she replied with a small smile. "Thanks for staying with me last night."

"Anytime," I said warmly. "Are you ready for another day of school?"

She nodded, her mood lightening even more. "I think so. And... maybe we can bake cookies when I get back, today is Friday"

"Of course," I said, feeling a sense of accomplishment. "We'll make it the best cookies ever."

We headed downstairs for breakfast, where Nathaniel was already seated. He looked up and smiled when he saw us.

"Good morning," he greeted us. "Ready for another day?"

"Yep," Olivia said, sitting down at the table. "And Maya's going to help me bake cookies after I get back from school."

"That's great to hear," Nathaniel said, giving me a grateful look. "Have a good day at school, Olivia."

As Olivia ate her breakfast, I couldn't help but feel hopeful. Despite the challenges with Jessica and the uncertainties about Oliver, it felt like things were slowly falling into place.

After Olivia had left for school and Nathaniel had left for work, I decided to catch up with Gloria who was in the kitchen....as usual.

"Do you ever stay any other place than the kitchen?" I asked with a smirk.

Gloria looked up from the dough she was kneading and chuckled. "This kitchen is like my second home. Besides, someone has to keep it running smoothly."

I laughed softly. "I suppose so. Anyway, I wanted to ask you more about Oliver. Yesterday, you mentioned he was always cheerful and a true gentleman. Could you tell me more about him?"

Gloria's expression softened. "Of course. Oliver was always the lively one. He had a way of making everyone smile, especially Olivia. They were inseparable, always playing and looking out for each other. He adored his father and would always try to imitate him."

"That sounds sweet," I said, imagining the scene. "It must have been hard when he had to leave."

"It was," Gloria nodded. "The whole house felt different after he was gone. Olivia was especially affected. She missed her brother terribly, even if she doesn't always show it."

"I can see that," I said thoughtfully. "It's heartbreaking to think about how much they've been through."

"Yes, it is," Gloria agreed. "But they're strong, and they have each other. And now, they have you too. You're already making a positive difference in their lives."

"Thank you, Gloria," I said, feeling a warmth spread through me. "I just want to help them in any way I can."

Gloria smiled. "And you're doing a wonderful job. Just keep being there for them, especially for Olivia. She needs all the support she can get."

I nodded, feeling even more determined to be a positive influence in Olivia and Nathaniel's lives. As I left the kitchen, I felt a renewed sense of purpose and commitment to helping this family heal and grow together.

In the afternoon, Olivia had already come back from school, and as promised, we both baked cookies together, with the help of Gloria, of course. The kitchen is huge, and some ingredients are just hard to find.

After we had finished baking, Olivia and I sat at the kitchen table, enjoying the freshly made cookies. Olivia seemed more relaxed and content, a stark contrast to the tension from the previous day.

"These are really good, Olivia!" I said, taking another bite. "You have a knack for baking."

Olivia smiled shyly. "Thanks, Maya. It was fun doing this together."

Gloria, who had been tidying up, looked over and smiled. "You both did a great job. It's nice to see Olivia so happy."

"Thanks for your help, Gloria," I said. "We couldn't have done it without you."

"Anytime," Gloria replied warmly.

Just then, Nathaniel walked into the kitchen, looking tired but pleased to see us. "Something smells delicious in here," he said, walking over to us. "Did you two bake these?"

"Yes, we did!" Olivia said proudly. "Want to try one, Daddy?"

"Of course," Nathaniel said, taking a cookie and biting into it. "Wow, these are amazing! Great job, you two."

Olivia beamed with pride, and I felt a sense of accomplishment seeing her so happy. "We make a pretty good team," I said.

Nathaniel nodded, his gaze softening as he looked at Olivia. "I'm glad to see you smiling, sweetheart."

"Thanks, Daddy," Olivia said, giving him a big hug.

As the afternoon turned into evening, the warmth and camaraderie in the kitchen made me feel more hopeful about the future. Despite the challenges, I was determined to help this family find happiness and peace.

Then later, as Olivia was in her room using her tablet, I decided to talk with Nathaniel, who was already in his study, because his mood was different today.

"Hey Nathaniel, I noticed that your mood has really changed, is something bothering you?" I asked as I sat opposite him.

He sighed. "Jessica called. She said that she's going to bring Oliver during the weekends."

Now I was confused. "Shouldn't you be happy? You haven't seen Oliver in 2 years. Why the long face?"

"That's the thing," Nathaniel said, his expression troubled. "Jessica never brought Oliver for two whole years and suddenly she's going to bring him tomorrow. She's definitely planning something."

"That's a valid concern," I said, trying to reassure him. "But maybe she genuinely wants to reconnect Oliver with Olivia and you. It's been a long time."

Nathaniel shook his head. "Jessica always has an ulterior motive. I just can't figure out what it is this time. I'm worried about how it will affect Olivia. She's been through so much already."

I nodded, understanding his worry. "We should prepare Olivia for this. She needs to know what's coming and have the chance to express how she feels about it."

Nathaniel looked thoughtful for a moment, then nodded. "You're right. I'll talk to her tonight. Thank you, Maya. You've been a great support through all this."

"That's what I'm here for," I said with a smile. "We'll get through this together."

Nathaniel finally relaxed as he managed a small smile. I don't know why, but every time he smiles, I feel like my heart skips a beat. I have to push that feeling aside; he's my boss, and I'm just his daughter's nanny.

"Thank you, Maya," he said again, his voice softer now. "I don't know what we'd do without you."

I returned his smile, trying to keep my emotions in check. "It's my pleasure, Nathaniel. Olivia is a wonderful girl, and she deserves all the support she can get."

He nodded, his eyes reflecting a mix of gratitude and something else I couldn't quite place. "I'll talk to Olivia tonight. We need to make sure she's prepared for whatever comes next."

"That's a good idea," I agreed. "I'll be around if you need any help."

As I left the study, my thoughts were a jumble of feelings. Nathaniel's smile had a way of making my heart race, but I had to remain professional. Olivia's well-being was the priority, and whatever feelings I had for Nathaniel needed to stay buried.

Tomorrow would be a big day, and I hoped that Jessica's visit with Oliver would bring some healing rather than more chaos. But no matter what happened, I was determined to be there for Olivia and Nathaniel, no matter how complicated things might get.

Oh, I can't wait to see what happens now, how will Oliver react after seeing his Dad and sister after such a long time?