Chapter 12: Feelings Revealed.

(Maya's Pov)

Later in the afternoon, once I was sure that Olivia was comfortable, I made my way downstairs to Gloria.

“Nathaniel called. He said he’ll be home soon.”

I nodded as I smiled a little. “Nathaniel really cares for Olivia a lot, dropping everything about work and coming home just to be with her.”

Gloria nodded. “He’s really a smart guy and cares for the people he loves.”

I sighed. “I just don’t get what Nathaniel once saw in Jessica.”

Gloria looked thoughtful. “Sometimes, people change or they see things in others that aren’t obvious to everyone else.”

“I suppose,” I said, feeling a bit conflicted. “But it’s hard to understand why someone would be with someone like Jessica when Nathaniel is so different.”

Gloria patted my shoulder. “Everyone has their reasons, and sometimes those reasons are more about personal journeys than what’s apparent on the surface.”

Just then, Nathaniel walked in, looking both relieved and weary. “How’s Olivia?” he asked, his eyes searching mine.

“She’s resting comfortably now,” I replied. “Her fever’s coming down, and she’s in better spirits.”

Nathaniel let out a breath he hadn’t realized he was holding and gave me a grateful smile. “Thank you for taking care of her.”

“It’s no problem,” I said, feeling a warmth in my chest from his gratitude. “I’m just glad she’s getting better.”

Gloria cleared her throat softly. “I’ll get back to the kitchen now. Nathaniel, if you need anything, just let me know.”

Nathaniel nodded. “Thanks, Gloria.”

As Gloria left, Nathaniel turned to me, "Well, since there's nothing else, I should probably freshen up before I check on Olivia."

He then stood up as he was about to leave but then suddenly I blurted out, "Olivia called me Mom today."

Nathaniel stopped in his tracks and looked at me with a mix of surprise and curiosity. "She did?"

I nodded, feeling a bit self-conscious. "Yeah, while she was sleeping. She said, ‘Please... mommy.’ It was really touching."

Nathaniel's expression softened, and he took a step closer. “That’s really sweet. Olivia looks up to you a lot.”

I glanced down, my cheeks warming. “I just wish I could do more for her.”

Nathaniel reached out and gently touched my arm. “You’re doing more than enough. She’s lucky to have you.”

For a moment, there was a shared understanding between us. His hand lingered on my arm, and I could see the warmth and gratitude in his eyes.

“Thank you, Nathaniel,” I said softly. “I’m just glad I can be here for her.”

He gave me a reassuring smile before stepping back. “I’ll be quick. I’ll check in on Olivia as soon as I’m done.”

As Nathaniel walked away, I felt a flutter of emotions in my chest, a mix of uncertainty and something deeper that made me question the growing connection between us.

As Nathaniel left to freshen up, I found myself pacing the kitchen, my mind swirling with thoughts. Olivia calling me "Mom" was unexpected, and it stirred something in me I hadn't felt in a long time. I cared deeply for her and for Nathaniel, more than I probably should as just a nanny.