Chapter 6

Emma found herself, once again, in front of the mayor's front lawn. The savior got scared the first few times and went home, but not this time. Emma ran over what she would say to Regina once more in her head. The savior planned on apologizing for staying that night, Regina just looked like she needed someone. Emma decided she wouldn't mention why she stayed... or maybe she would. She couldn't decide which would sound not as creepy. Either way, she'd have to accept the fact that Regina would forever consider her creepy. What sane human being would do such a thing? Now Regina would never open up to Emma... still the savior refused to give up on her.

Regina paced around her bedroom. It had been two days of dodging and detours from Emma. Regina even arranged a way for Henry to get to Emma's without contact. Regina would rather spend a cheerful day with one of the simpletons of town than face Emma for one second. The queen was sure the feeling was mutual, but didn't understand why it felt like she was doing all of the work of avoiding. Emma should have the decency to at least consider where Regina might be. Emma was at Granny's when Regina was usually there, and was around when Regina dropped off Henry at the bus stop. It was almost as if Emma wanted to see her. But Regina was sure it was merely coincidences from a simple savior that lacked common sense. Why would Emma want to even be in the same room with Regina after the way she came on to her? She was just... frustrated. Emma was in the vicinity and she was being so nice, but it was nothing. The one thing Regina couldn't understand was that Emma was there when she woke up. Regina knew nothing happened; the mayor had full memory of that night. But why would Emma sleep in her bed with her?
On her way back from the other side of the room, Regina noticed her curtains weren't closed. The mayor hoped no one was peeking in her window, sticking their nose where it didn't belong. Regina looked out of the window only to see Emma standing outside, lost in her thought as much as she was.

"It's not polite to awkwardly stand in front of people's houses, Ms. Swan. Although, I guess you might not have known that." Regina held her door open just enough for her to fit.

"Regina, we need to talk." The savior moved towards Regina as if they were playing chess and it was her move.

"I have nothing to say to you, Ms. Swan. Now please, do us both a favor and leave before you make this even worse. If you're expecting an apology, I'll send you a brief, but carefully worded email about my unprofessional behavior. Don't expect anything more. I don't need to explain myself to you." The mayor began stepping back from the door to close it.

"Wait! Regina, I want to apologize. I know you were drunk and we never have to speak of it again. But you were really drunk, I felt staying with you was the right thing to do." Emma was racing towards the door. She knew if Regina closed that door, their relationship would never be the same.

"Are you saying I can't handle my liquor? I hate to burst your egotistical bubble, savior, but no one needs saving from intoxication." Regina searched Emma's face for some understanding of what she was trying to say.

"You know how hard I work to make sure nothing bad happens to you? I worry about you constantly, Regina. I want to be of any help involving your happiness, even the temporary kind. "

"Well I didn't ask you to... I'm not some obligation that needs taking care of. Go take your charity work somewhere else." Regina looked out of the side of her eye, desperate to not look at Emma. Something about the way the savior cared about her made her actually believe it. What did she get out of this?

"That's not how it works. Regina, don't you know I want to take care of you? Don't you know I want you to be happy, not out of obligation, but because I care about you. No, you don't need fixing. You're perfect, but everyone needs help. Let me help you, Regina." Emma gently took Regina's hand and repeatedly brushed her thumb against the back of the queen's hand. Regina tugged Emma inside and shut the door behind them.