Chapter 9:Family Reunion

"Neither of us has control over the mind element. Our ability to help them is limited because of that. We need a mind wielder. Erizan is the only one who can help them. We need to reach him, if he is still alive. Without him, we can only do so much", Kirtan said.

"After our failed attack on Xaraeon, he hid on Akalos, and stayed there ever since. If we can find him, it will significantly improve our chances", Deila said. "But first, we need to regroup with the Search Team. And somehow arrange a meeting with their parents, Halon and Jenna Sularen. Let them know of the change of plans", Heogarma said. "Vanraael had not been the best choice from the start. We should have gone to Akalos immediately. We have nothing here", said Deila.

Verlan and Jolara listened to their conversation, leaving them with a lot to think about. "I wonder if I will ever unlock my element. If I even have one", Jolara said. "From what little we read about the Knights in children's books, it could be after a traumatic event", Verlan said. "Hopefully not", Jolara said.

The night breeze picked up, and a ghost appeared. Verlan and Jolara gazed in awe, and blinked, to ensure they were not being fooled.

"Judeor?" Kirtan said. "Yes, my friend. I come with a warning. Do not go to Akalos. Erizan, a former mercenary from Ilgorn's crew, and Raelin, are en route to Alegard, Orzeran, to rescue Freya. But they are headed into a trap, set by Orzun and Xarian. You must go there immediately. Otherwise, they will be lost. And then, neither Verlan or Jolara will ever receive the training they need", Judeor said.

"What kind of trap?" Heogarma asked. "That, I can not say. But very likely, it will affect us all, not just Verlan and Jolara. And one more thing. The uriaks that have been pursuing you are on approach. They have been moving all night. You must go now. I will hold them off, but my power is limited in this state. Now go. They are almost here", Judeor replied.

Kirtan began shifting the earth under them, moving them forward. Indeed, the uriaks had come. Waves of wind and lightning slammed into them, as the ghost of Judeor blocked their path. However, 10 uriaks, 5 Reapers and a hybrid split off from the main group, and went after them.

"We have to alter our path. These forests extend for hundreds of miles. We have already went far from any civilization", Kirtan said. "They are catching up. We shall have to face them eventually", Heogarma said.

"Recall the memory. This hybrid is a mind wielder", Deila instructed. "How can you tell? You have no access to mind?" Verlan asked. "A mind wielder would be useless against a ghost. They are immune from the mind block. And If Judeor was still alive, his mental defenses would have been too advanced for even a hybrid to overcome", Kirtan replied.

The uriaks approached. "I shall take the hybrid", Kirtan said, activating his energy sword.

The uriaks struck. Reinforced by the memory, Verlan unleashed his fire, and two of the uriak soldiers went down immediately. 4 more were killed with Deila's light waves.

The other four attacked Verlan and Jolara. Verlan drew his energy sword, and ignited the purple blade, blocking a series of strikes from his two foes, while Jolara defended with a simple steel sword. Their training, brief though it was, had paid off. They were easily able to block their foes' poorly aimed strikes, although here, a mistake could result in a serious injury or death, instead of a hit from a practice weapon.

Verlan conjured a fire shield, blocking a series of strikes and kicked the uriak in the knee, staggering it. He lunged, driving his energy sword through its chest, while simultaneously covering his back with a fire shield. He turned on the second uriak, and as it came at him, he blocked its strikes, and went on the offensive.