Sammi

*Xiaphela*

I had never in my life seen such a gentle demon hybrid... Then Sammi held my hand earlier I was expecting him to grip it hard or refuse but he just gently held onto me until I let go... Even now as I sit and read in silence he is eating his food quietly and sitting beside me trying to see what I'm doing.

Carmen is off in her own little world, playing with toys in the playpen I got for her and he just sits... I feel like a part of me should be preparing for him to attack me but he is just sat quietly nibbling on biscuits and cakes.

When he jumps off the couch I watch him expecting him to do something devilish... But he doesn't, he tries to see what Carmen is doing. His tail swaying side to side in a gentle motion.

I allow my eyes to wander back onto my book. Occasionally looking over to make sure he is still behaving.

"I feel you staring at me weirdly" Sammi says clearly to me, I look up and take a deep breath.

"I'm sorry" I simply say. He turns round with tears falling down his cheek. Sizzling and evaporating as they hit the floor, I close my book and walk towards him slowly.

He turns to run but I grab his arm pulling him into a hug, his tears are burning my skin but the slight pain is worth his feelings. After a few moments he hugs me back, allowing me to pick him up and sit down with him still hugging me.

He breaths a shakey breath as he leans into me. Shakey breaths turn to gentle snores, his small hands loosely holding onto my clothes.

I gently put my hand on his forehead, closing my eyes and breathing out.

I see the boy he was, abusive parents in a poor town. Scraps for dinner and a new bruise everyday... Blamed for everything, I can't see his face but people calling him by his name make me sure it's him. Just a memory so I can't stop anything I see.

His name only spoken in spiteful yells... He gets older until he is nearly 17, his parents... They worshipped an under Lord, they put him in the oven and cooked him alive. I'm nearly sick at the sight, I feel tears trailing down my face as I want to break him out and save him but I know I can't...

I hear his screams and I feel his pain. It feels like emptyness, I hear as his screams die out and the last thread of life he had left is ripped from his grasp. He looks through the oven door... Hazel eyes. I see as the Underlord discards him into the town of hell. Having to scrape things to get by, the woman who I took him from takes him in but she yells at him all the time. I can feel his unease.

I gently take my hand off his head, my library comes back into view. Sammi still asleep in my arms, he isn't a bad kid... Younger than Carmen. "Poor boy" I murmer as I stroke his face gently.

After a while I put both of them to bed. Carmen in her Crib and Sammi in my bed, his Hazel eyes are all I remember. I go down the hallway to a door that's only openable by me, as soon as I touch the handle the locks unlock.

The stairs go deep deep down. I can hear my own steps echo as I walk. I get to the door, it's large and metal. Cold on my fingers. It creaks as I open it. The room is small but the walls show my reflection in what seems like an endless space.

"Show me again" I say and the room brings a memory into view. The black haired girl and Brown haired boy playing happily as they usually do.

"GET THAT AWAY FROM ME" The boy shrieks as the Girl holds a worm by his face.

"Oh don't be such a whimp" She says, I mouth her words so it's like we speak in unison. When the boy finally opens his eyes, they are Hazel. Like a fresh nut off a tree, a color of growth and stability...

"Pause" The memory freezes, I cup the boy in the memories face. His small freckles, brown hair and Hazel eyes. I turn to look at the girl and all I can think is 'God look at how much I have changed' My cute button nose, blue eyes and cheesy smile gone. Only part left is my pitch black hair and faint freckles. Just shows how much of myself I have lost over the years...

Realizing the time I go back upstairs to my room, Carmen was still asleep in her crib. Sammi however was out of bed, by the mirror. Examining himself. Brushing his fingers over his horns, his tail, his clothes.

He notices me...

"D-Do you think m-my... Horns are u-ugly?" He asks me with a soft whimpery voice.

"No my dear, not at all. They look lovely" I say softly as I walk towards him, touching his hair gently then his horns.

"You really think so?" He asks holding onto my arms gently as I run my fingers through his hair. He looks up at me with a hopeful look.

"I never lie" I say leaving a kiss on his forehead. He closes his eyes and relaxes in my hands.

I promise to protect you

Is all I can think in the blissful silence.