Chapter 11: The Office Party

The invitation for the office party came as a surprise to everyone. It was sent out on a Thursday morning, a neatly designed email from the HR team inviting all employees to a casual get-together at a nearby rooftop bar. The timing was curious—right in the middle of their most stressful quarter, with deadlines looming and tensions running high—but the promise of free drinks and a break from the daily grind was too tempting to resist.

Mia was sitting at her desk, staring at the invitation on her screen, when Emily bounced over, her eyes sparkling with excitement. "You're coming, right?" Emily asked, already anticipating Mia's answer.

Mia hesitated, glancing at her overflowing inbox and the stack of reports waiting for her attention. "I don't know, Em. I've got a lot to do."

Emily pouted, crossing her arms. "Oh, come on, Mia. We all need a break, and it's not every day we get a rooftop party courtesy of the company. Besides, we deserve to let loose a little after everything we've been through. Think of it as team bonding, outside of the ropes course."

Mia laughed despite herself, knowing Emily was right. They'd all been working themselves to the bone, and a night out might be exactly what they needed to blow off some steam. "Alright, fine. I'll go. But only for a bit—I've got too much to catch up on."

Emily grinned, satisfied with the victory. "That's the spirit! Plus, it's an open bar, so how could you possibly say no?"

Mia rolled her eyes but couldn't suppress the smile tugging at her lips. As much as she tried to keep her distance from office social events, she had to admit she was looking forward to the chance to unwind.

By the time Mia arrived at the rooftop bar that evening, the party was already in full swing. The space was buzzing with energy, the city skyline glittering in the background. Colleagues mingled in small groups, laughing and chatting over cocktails, and the air was filled with the sound of clinking glasses and upbeat music.

Mia made her way to the bar, ordering a glass of white wine as she surveyed the scene. She spotted Emily across the room, already deep in conversation with a few members of the finance team. Mia waved, but her attention was quickly drawn elsewhere when she caught sight of Jason standing near the edge of the rooftop, looking out over the city.

He was alone, a glass of whiskey in hand, his posture relaxed but his expression thoughtful. It struck Mia that she'd never seen him at a social event before; he always seemed so focused on work that she'd assumed he wasn't one for parties. But here he was, blending into the crowd in his crisp, casual attire, looking every bit the part of a CEO trying to unwind.

Mia hesitated, debating whether to approach him. After their late-night conversation in the office, she felt like she understood him better, like the walls between them had started to come down. But at the same time, she didn't want to intrude on his space. Jason was a complex puzzle, and she wasn't sure if she was ready to piece together the parts she still didn't understand.

Before she could decide, Jason turned and spotted her. Their eyes met across the crowded rooftop, and for a moment, it felt like they were the only two people there. Jason gave her a small nod, raising his glass in a silent toast.

Mia returned the gesture, making her way over to him. "Fancy seeing you here," she said, her tone light as she took a sip of her wine.

Jason shrugged, a hint of a smile on his lips. "HR's idea. Thought it might be good for morale."

Mia chuckled, leaning against the railing beside him. "Well, it seems to be working. Everyone looks like they're having a good time."

Jason glanced around, his gaze thoughtful. "Yeah. It's nice to see everyone relaxed for a change."

Mia nodded, appreciating the rare moment of camaraderie. She and Jason had spent so much time locked in battles over deadlines and strategies that it was easy to forget they were on the same team. Here, away from the pressures of the office, it felt like they could breathe a little easier.

They stood in comfortable silence for a while, the city lights twinkling below them. Mia felt the weight of the past few weeks begin to lift, the constant stress and tension easing in the cool night air. She glanced at Jason, wondering what was going through his mind.

"So," she said, breaking the silence, "how's everything with the board? Still giving you grief over the delays?"

Jason sighed, his shoulders relaxing slightly. "Always. But we're making progress. They're just eager for results, and I can't blame them. We're close, though. I can feel it."

Mia nodded, sipping her wine. "We'll get there. It's been a rough ride, but I think we've proven we can handle whatever comes our way."

Jason looked at her, his expression softening. "I've been meaning to say... I really appreciate everything you've done, Mia. I know I've been tough on you, but you've handled it with more grace than most people would."

Mia felt a warm flush creep up her neck at the unexpected compliment. "Thanks, Jason. That means a lot. And for what it's worth, I think you've done a good job steering the ship. It's not easy, but you're doing it."

Jason's smile widened, a genuine expression that Mia rarely saw from him. "Thank you," he said quietly. "That's... good to hear."

They stood there for a moment longer, the sounds of the party fading into the background. Mia felt a strange pull in her chest, a mix of admiration and something else she couldn't quite name. She'd spent so much time fighting Jason, pushing back against his every move, that she hadn't allowed herself to really see him for who he was—a man doing his best in a difficult situation, just like her.

Before she could dwell on it further, a familiar voice interrupted their moment. "Hey, Mia!" Emily called, weaving through the crowd with a mischievous grin. "We're starting a game of 'Never Have I Ever.' You in?"

Mia glanced at Jason, who raised an eyebrow in amusement. "Go ahead," he said, his tone teasing. "I'll stay out of trouble."

Mia laughed, rolling her eyes. "You sure? It might be fun to see you squirm."

Jason chuckled, shaking his head. "I think I'll pass. But you go. Enjoy yourself."

Mia nodded, giving him a playful salute. "Alright. But don't think you're off the hook. We'll catch up later."

Jason watched her go, a thoughtful expression on his face. As Mia joined Emily and the rest of their colleagues, she couldn't help but steal a glance back at him. He was still watching her, his gaze warm and contemplative.

For the rest of the night, Mia found herself laughing and chatting with her colleagues, the stress of work momentarily forgotten. But every now and then, her thoughts drifted back to Jason, to the quiet conversation they'd shared on the rooftop. There was something shifting between them, something that went beyond the usual back-and-forth of their professional rivalry.

As the party wound down and Mia said her goodbyes, she couldn't shake the feeling that tonight had been a turning point. She and Jason were no longer just colleagues or adversaries—they were something more, something unspoken but undeniably real.

And as she made her way home, the city lights blurring past her, Mia realised that whatever was happening between them, it was only just beginning. The tension, the attraction, the uncharted territory they were navigating—it was all leading somewhere. And for the first time, Mia felt ready to see where it would take them.