Chapter 23: The Confrontation

Mia spent the rest of the day in a haze of disbelief and simmering anger. The revelation that Andrew—someone she had once trusted, loved, and then painstakingly moved on from—was the man behind the break-in left her reeling. She couldn't focus on work, her thoughts constantly circling back to him, to the cryptic email, and the photograph of her and Jason. The questions clawed at her: What was Andrew's endgame? Why had he resurfaced now, after all this time?

By late afternoon, Mia's phone buzzed with a message from Jason: **"Meet me in the parking garage. We're going to see him."**

The message was brief, but it filled Mia with a surge of determination. They had managed to track Andrew down to a seedy motel on the outskirts of town, a place that Jason's contacts had located through security footage and transactions that Andrew had carelessly left behind. It was a far cry from the polished, ambitious man Mia had once known, but that only made the situation feel more surreal and dangerous.

Mia grabbed her things and headed to the parking garage. Jason was already there, leaning against his car, his expression steely. He looked up when he saw her, his face softening with concern.

"You don't have to do this," Jason said, his voice gentle but firm. "I can handle it. You don't owe him anything."

Mia shook her head, her resolve unwavering. "I need to do this, Jason. I need to hear it from him, face-to-face. I need to understand why."

Jason nodded, and they got into his car, the ride to the motel charged with unspoken tension. Mia stared out the window, her mind racing with memories she hadn't revisited in a long time—Andrew's easy smile, his sharp wit, and the slow, painful unraveling of their relationship when his ambitions had clashed with her own. She'd walked away from him and never looked back, determined to forge her own path. But now, the past had come crashing back into her life, dragging her into a conflict she hadn't seen coming.

The motel was a rundown, grimy building that looked like it hadn't seen a renovation in decades. They parked, and Jason led the way, his presence a steadying force beside her. Mia felt a knot of nerves twist in her stomach as they approached the room number the security team had given them.

Jason knocked, his movements firm and controlled. Mia's heart pounded as they waited, the seconds stretching painfully long. Finally, the door creaked open, and Andrew stood there, his appearance haggard and disheveled. He looked nothing like the man Mia remembered—his once sharp suit now replaced with a wrinkled shirt, his hair unkempt, and his eyes clouded with something she couldn't quite place.

Andrew's gaze flicked between Mia and Jason, a flicker of recognition crossing his face. "Mia," he said, his voice hoarse. "I didn't think you'd actually come."

Mia stepped forward, her anger bubbling to the surface. "Why, Andrew? What the hell is this about? Breaking into the company, stalking me—what do you want?"

Andrew opened the door wider, gesturing for them to come inside. The room was dimly lit, cluttered with papers, and reeked of stale cigarettes. Mia hesitated, but Jason placed a reassuring hand on her back, guiding her in. They stood opposite Andrew, the tension between them palpable.

Andrew slumped into a chair, rubbing his temples as if the weight of his actions had only just begun to press down on him. "You have no idea what kind of mess I'm in," he muttered. "This wasn't supposed to happen like this."

Jason folded his arms, his voice cold and controlled. "Then explain it. Because right now, all we see is a guy who's crossed every line and dragged Mia into something dangerous."

Andrew looked up, his expression pained. "It's not about you, Mia. I never meant to hurt you, I swear. This is... it's about money, and bad decisions, and people I shouldn't have gotten involved with."

Mia clenched her fists, frustration bubbling over. "That's not good enough, Andrew. Why target me? Why put me through this?"

Andrew sighed, his shoulders sagging as if the weight of his choices was finally crushing him. "I needed leverage. I got involved with people—investors who weren't exactly clean. I lost a lot of money, and they wanted it back, one way or another. They told me to get information, something valuable enough to buy me time. I knew about Greystone, about your work there, and I thought... I thought if I could just get something—"

Mia's blood ran cold. She had been nothing more than a pawn in Andrew's desperate bid to save himself. The betrayal cut deeper than she'd expected, reopening old wounds she thought had healed. "So you put me at risk? You broke into my life again just to save your own skin?"

Andrew looked genuinely remorseful, but Mia wasn't sure if it was for her or for himself. "I never wanted to hurt you. I just... I didn't know what else to do."

Jason stepped forward, his posture rigid, anger simmering beneath his calm exterior. "You've done enough damage, Andrew. You have no idea what kind of hell you've put her through, what kind of risks you've taken with people's lives and careers. You're done playing games."

Andrew flinched at Jason's tone, his defiance crumbling. "I messed up. I know that. But I don't have anything left. I'm in over my head, and those people—they won't let this go."

Mia stared at him, torn between anger, pity, and the lingering sting of betrayal. She wanted to lash out, to make him understand the pain he'd caused, but she also knew that Andrew was broken in ways she couldn't fix. He had made his choices, and now he was paying the price.

"We're done here," Mia said finally, her voice steady despite the storm of emotions swirling inside her. "You need to face the consequences of what you've done. And you're going to tell the police everything—about the break-in, about the threats, about the people you're involved with. I'm not letting you drag me down with you."

Andrew nodded, defeated. "I'll tell them. I don't have a choice."

Mia turned to leave, feeling Jason's presence like a protective shield at her side. As they stepped out of the motel room, the weight of what had just happened pressed down on her, heavy and relentless. But she also felt a sense of closure, knowing that she had faced Andrew, confronted the shadows of her past, and come out stronger on the other side.

As they walked back to the car, Jason reached for her hand, his touch grounding her in the moment. "Are you okay?"

Mia nodded, squeezing his hand. "I will be. I just... I didn't expect it to be him. I didn't expect any of this."

Jason pulled her closer, his arm wrapping around her shoulders. "You handled it better than anyone could. He's going to have to face what he's done, and so are the people behind him. But you're not alone in this, Mia. You never will be."

Mia leaned into him, grateful for his steady support. The fight wasn't over, but they had won this battle. And whatever came next, Mia knew she had the strength—and Jason—by her side.

As they drove away from the motel, Mia looked out at the city, the skyline a mix of light and shadows. The road ahead was uncertain, but for the first time in a long time, Mia felt ready to face whatever it had in store. Andrew had tried to pull her into his darkness, but she had chosen her own path. And she wasn't looking back.