17

The shed trembled as the creature slammed against it, its growls reverberating through the walls like thunder. Soren's heart raced, and he could feel the adrenaline coursing through his veins. "We need to find a way out of here!" he urged, his voice barely above a whisper.

Jace nodded, his grip tightening on the rusty shovel. "There has to be another exit. We can't just wait for it to break in."

Finn, still pale and breathing heavily, looked around the cramped space. "What about that window?" he suggested, pointing to a small, grimy pane at the back of the shed. "It might be our only chance."

Soren turned to look. The window was small, but it was their best option. "Okay, let's do it," he said, moving toward it. "Jace, you go first. If you can get through, we'll follow."

Jace nodded and approached the window, carefully pushing aside some old tools that cluttered the area. He climbed onto a rickety stool, and with a determined push, he managed to pry the window open. The sound of splintering wood echoed in the shed, and Soren felt a surge of panic. "Hurry!" he urged.

Jace squeezed through the opening, landing on the ground outside with a soft thud. "I'm clear!" he called back, glancing around to ensure the coast was clear.

"Finn, you go next," Soren said, helping his friend to the window. Finn hesitated, glancing back at the door as the creature's growls grew louder. "I can't-"

"You can!" Soren insisted, his voice firm. "We need to get out of here. I'll go last."

With a deep breath, Finn climbed onto the stool and wriggled through the window, his face contorted in pain as he landed beside Jace. Soren followed closely behind, pushing himself through the tight space and landing on the ground with a grunt.

"Let's go!" Jace urged, glancing back at the shed as the creature's growls intensified. They sprinted away from the shed, their feet pounding against the ground as they raced toward the park's exit.

"Which way?" Finn gasped, looking around frantically.

"Straight ahead!" Soren shouted, pointing toward a path that led to the main road. They dashed down the path, the sun setting behind them, casting long shadows that danced in the fading light.

As they reached the main road, Soren spotted their main building in the distance, a familiar sight that filled him with hope. "There! We can make it back there!" he yelled, urging his friends to keep moving.

They sprinted toward the building, their hearts pounding in their chests. Just as they reached the entrance, Soren pushed the door open and they tumbled inside, quickly shutting it behind them. The familiar scent of the building enveloped them, a stark contrast to the chaos outside.

Ethan, who had been waiting anxiously, looked up as they entered. His eyes widened in shock. "You guys! What happened?" he exclaimed, rushing over to them.

Jace took a deep breath, trying to steady his racing heart. "We encountered a monster" he explained, his voice determined

Ethan's expression shifted from shock to concern. "A monster! Are you hurt?"

Soren just then, he noticed Finn wincing as he moved. "Finn, your wound... we need to take care of that," Soren said, concern etched on his face.

Finn shook his head, trying to brush it off. "I'm fine, really."

"No, you're not fine," Soren insisted, his voice firm yet gentle. "Let's get you patched up first. Jace, can you help me find a first aid kit?"

"On it," Jace replied, darting off to search the nearby storage room.

As Soren turned back to Finn, he felt a rush of emotions. They had been through so much together, and in that moment, he wanted nothing more than to comfort him. Their eyes locked, and for a brief second, the chaos around them faded away. They leaned closer, the tension between them palpable, but just as their lips were about to meet, Jace burst back into the room, holding a first aid kit.

"Found it!" he announced, oblivious to the moment he had interrupted.

Soren stepped back, his heart racing for a different reason now. "Thanks, Jace," he said, trying to regain his composure. He quickly opened the kit and began to clean Finn's wound, focusing on the task at hand.

Finn winced but managed a small smile. "You're really good at this, Soren."

"Just trying to help," Soren replied, feeling a warmth spread through him at Finn's words.